CoinPeople.com

Do you collect commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

Special coins that are minted strictly to collectors, or sometimes out to the public because of some special occasion, such as the anniversary of some events. ;)

Here in Euroland the former ("to collectors") are called, surprise, collector(s) coins :-) The others ("to the public") are commemorative coins.

<brag>

Oh, and I finally managed to take a picture of the coins and sets that I got in the past couple of days. The image is a bit large (about 800 K), so I'll just post the link here:

http://img18.echo.cx/img18/3681/heute29ke.jpg

</brag>

:ninja:

Christian

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Euroland the former ("to collectors") are called, surprise, collector(s) coins :-) The others ("to the public") are commemorative coins.

<brag>

Oh, and I finally managed to take a picture of the coins and sets that I got in the past couple of days. The image is a bit large (about 800 K), so I'll just post the link here:

</brag>

;)

Christian

Oh nice! Brag indeed. :ninja:

<brag>

</brag>

:ninja:

Christian

Rub it in... ;)

Gut gemacht, Christian

One remark: AT 60 Jahre zweite Republik, you've got that coin raw? Mine is in a nice folder in a blister with all kinds of info on it, in both english and german.

AT 60 Jahre zweite Republik, you've got that coin raw? Mine is in a nice folder in a blister with all kinds of info on it, in both english and german.

Actually I got two of those. One came raw from a fellow collector who got them from an Austrian bank, I think. The other one - in the picture - is from a folder like the one you got. But I am known to be a "Pappenkiller" (except when it comes to proof coins) anyway: Down with folders and blisters, freedom for coins! :ninja:

Christian

In many cases I throw the folders away. Will probably not do that with the Dutch/Canadian "60 years of liberation" set or the annual set from San Marino. But as for those Austrian single-coin folders, I usually open them without actually tearing them apart. (Sometimes I keep the folder for a while, to take notes later, or because some other collector may want it.) The "glue" inside can be removed pretty easily ...

Christian

Weeelll, not really all at one time :-) Yours went into my collection a little while ago, but after that, new stuff simply ended somewhere on or near my desk during the past couple of days. The ones from the UK and Iceland I bought at a local coin store, the others came in the mail ...

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, very nice acquisitions :-) The two 500 forint coins (King Matthew) look just great! What is interesting, by the way, is that what is depicted on the coins spans across various countries nowadays. The statue of the king on a horse is in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. The inscription on the monument used to say "Matthew King of Hungary" but now it's only "King Matthew" - just like on the coin ...

http://harmen.de/ungarn/klausenburg/kla18.jpg

The side with the face value of the second coin is a little ho-hum, but the other side is gorgeous. The upper veduta shows Ofen or Buda (now the right bank part of central Budapest), the one below shows Vienna that Matthew conquered and where he resided during his last years ...

That 1000 forint coin is interesting because of the Parliament Building "silhouette". Other than that, well. (Still much better than your current avatar and title though :ninja: )

Christian