CoinPeople.com

Do you collect commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really pleased with the price I got on these.  I've seen gold ECU's as well, never seen one go that high.  I got these from Ebay complete with the certification cards.  I had the only bids on each except the Austrian.  They were in GBP and I paid about $9 a piece for them.  Not bad for large .925 silver pieces.

wow, $9 for a 25 ecu coin?

speaking of devaluation.....

though it never became real money, the ecu was used awhile to trade in, in the 1980's and 1990's.

iirc, the exchange rate ecu : gulden was 1 : 2.50. so that would be 1.10 euro, for one ecu

Right, the ECU was the predecessor of the euro, so to say, created in 1979 and replaced by the EUR in 1999. In that system, the national currencies had "semi-fixed" exchange rates, much like what we have with ERM-II (Euro, Danish krone, Estonian kroon, etc.) now.

The "external value" of the euro on 1-Jan-1999 was exactly the same as that of the ECU the day before, ie. that changeover had no effect on ECU based contracts or purchases. Some countries that were in the old currency system, however, were not in the new one, and vice versa. So the internal "weight" and "value" of each national currency involved had to be adapted. But not quite that dramatically ;-) : The ECU-Gulden central rate in March 1998, for example, was about 1:2.23 while the EUR-NLG rate is about 1:2.20 ...

Actually, a few (very few!) ECU coins were legal tender in the issuing country. The Belgian issues, for example, were. Don't know, though, how many Belgians used those coins to buy, say, milk or fruit at supermarkets. :ninja:

Christian

Must admit that I do not particularly like that one, but I just read at rcc that another coin from Belarus became the World Coin News "Coin of the Year" 2003: the 10 ruble Belarussian Ballet commem. Now that one I do find attractive:

http://www.nbrb.by/Natiobank/NBRBCoins.eng...last0425_s.html

The "Narochansky National Park" 20 ruble coin, with the two swans, also won an award:

http://www.nbrb.by/Natiobank/NBRBCoins.eng...last0424_s.html

Mintages are similarly low. Guess they don't really want many people to have those ;-)

Christian

Yes, it is. I was looking at it the other evening with a magnafying glass. When it is titled some, it vaguely resembles anything but a bunch of "dots"; turn it flat and Ta-daa, there is a face! Quite neat.

Now that Dutch 10 euro coin, I like it. What is a little strange is that is only says "2005", and not "1980 - 2005" or something like that. But I guess everybody in NL knows what the coin is about :-) This technology (Minted Photo Image) produces great results, and the way the motto applies to both the coin and the country/monarchy is neat. While the Dutch circulation coins are IMO somewhat dull, the KNM has been quite innovative as far as commem designs are concerned ...

Christian