CoinPeople.com

Do you collect commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do! I am not far from having a complete silver (proof and unc) set of all Finnish commemoratives. I collect unc commems from the US. I also always like to buy a commem from any country that I visit as a souvineir. And finally whenever I see something that appeals to me. Here is my most recent purchase when I was in Denmark last november:

895117.jpg

I love it. I've seen pics of this coin before. I do not have one. In fact my Ghana coin set is pretty poor. I have about 4 or 5 coins. Almost all low denomination circulation coins.

I do collect some commemoratives. I had started years ago on a US Commemorative Type Set but gave it up. I've sold off a number of my modern commems - US. I'll probably sell some more. They just don't appeal at the moment.

They are beautiful, but they are not real coins... If I come across them cheaply I may get them, but I don't actibly hoard them.

At the end of the day they are not real coins, just a squeme for the mint/goverment to make money of collectors...

Here we go again.  We just had a big discussion on what a coin is with the Silver American Eagles.  If a coin is offically designated as legal tender it is a coin.  At least by definition. 

Besides a lot of the old ones were circulated.

I know that, but personally I preffer collection coins intended for circulation.

In any case, as I said, if I can get them at good value (like face value) then I am happy to have them, as usually they put more time into designing the commems, so they suppouse to be more beautifull, that is theory though...

I consider them to be real coins, and I do collect them.

I will collect them from all countries I do collect coins from.

So far I have commems of The Netherlands, Finland, Luxembourg, Great Britain, France, Spain, US, Canada, Dominican Republic

I should be getting the Italy €2 WFP soon.

Oh Unknown, that silver commem that you recently received from me, actually circulates, a friend of mine who works in a store, found one in the till, the other day, buy one of his co workers wanted and traded it for a €5 note.

Speaking of that, Tiff, did you get yours already?

I am assuming you meant the 2 mark? -the coin that T'bunny posted after you? Or did T'bunny post the wrong picture? Anyhow, I have had one of those (Prussia 1901 2 mark) myself for a looooong time. Mine is in nice shape excpet for a major scratch on the obverse that has ruined the coin.

I entered that coin in the UCC ( http://www.coinpeople.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8595 ), but people found the Belgian franc to be uglier! :?

And no she does not look exactly like that. Here is a photo of her:

292x219.jpg

And yes, I do collect commemorative coins (including what in Euroland is called collectors coins). I am not terribly keen on pieces that are not issued at face value, but have bought and will buy such pieces as well :-)

Christian

And if I may add to my own comment about collecting commems. I avoid those commems that come from those mints (most often island nations) that issue coins for Elvis, Pokemon, LOTR, etc. Somehow, those coins have little to no appeal for me.

Yes, I collect silver Euro commemoratives and being in the U.S. makes it a pretty tough collection. Most of my euros have come from European collectors who are willing to trade for U.S. or Canadian coins. I have been very lucky so far and hope to continue building a great, long term, collection. I like the vast history offered by so many different countries so the collection has been very educational and my new friends across the big pond are fantastic to deal with.