CoinPeople.com

European Cleaning Standards

jlueke

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think that WCO is right !

"While 1 and 2 most people believe are bad and most advise not to buy coins with damaged/hairlined surfaces, the other two are good and recommended by most. "

i think that its good to keep your coins well. Some of my coins went dark, because someone has been washed them with kitchen cleaning stuff. The coin looks nice when its washed with Cillit bang or something but its not good for coins. I collect silver and it would go dark. Then its good if you know someone who has gas cleaning machine. I don`t know the real name of this machine, even in estonian. I know that this gas is used in hospitals. It would not do any harm to the coin, because the gas just is with the coin in a chamber and tooks all dirt off and coin is putted to the machine and taked out with rubber cloves. 1 coin may be over 1 hour in chamber so the cleaning is not very quick. Its expensive machine and it would not take down the prize of a coin. :ninja: I think that you would not understand which coins are cleaned in gas cleaner.

i think that WCO is right !

"While 1 and 2 most people believe are bad and most advise not to buy coins with damaged/hairlined surfaces, the other two are good and recommended by most. "

i think that its good to keep your coins well. Some of my coins went dark, because someone has been washed them with kitchen cleaning stuff. The coin looks nice when its washed with Cillit bang or something but its not good for coins. I collect silver and it would go dark. Then its good if you know someone who has gas cleaning machine. I don`t know the real name of this machine, even in estonian. I know that this gas is used in hospitals. It would not do any harm to the coin, because the gas just is with the coin in a chamber and tooks all dirt off and coin is putted to the machine and taked out with rubber cloves. 1 coin may be over 1 hour in chamber so the cleaning is not very quick. Its expensive machine and it would not take down the prize of a coin. :ninja: I think that you would not understand which coins are cleaned in gas cleaner.

Are you talking about high pressure cleaning with gasjets ( like sandblasting but using nitrogene for instance)

or are you talking about a chemical reaction ( like a redox reaction with hydrogene ) ?

hmm, i had to use dictionary cause so hard words ;)

i meant that gas what is like air, invisible, not that gas what you put to the car. Its hard when one word means 2 different things :ninja:

i`ve never seen that gas chamber but some my coins are cleaned in that. Btw the gas is somekind of sleeping gas, don`t know the exact name of it.

as an example, i have 1 morocco coin(pic is from internet but i have same) My coin was 10 times more dirtyer than this. This coins are very hard to clean and usually collectors don`t want this coin when it`s dirty! i sended my coin to cleaning and i got back really clean, i would say AU morocco 100 francs, like new. ;) He said that about an hour was that coin in that chamber. The chamber is small, 1 coin at the time goes in.

it`s impoosible to say which coins have been in that chamber !

189.jpg

I do not have these coins so I cannot tell which one is cleaned

I think water is needed to take the dirt away

I think a gas is needed to take the oxidation away ( redox reaction )

If I am right all cleaned coins will have a slightly lower weight then normal

I am from Belgium and I use English English so gas to me is a vaporised liquid and

not something you put in your car normally :ninja:

Sorry I confused you

All these are cleaned! Canada 5 cents was so dirty that i was looking for other one but now its nice! Water woun`t take anthing off. I had 1908 China 20 cents, XF but super attack or smth was on it and this machine took it off without any scarches. Cleaning is expensive and machine cost couple of thousands dollars.

All these are cleaned! Canada 5 cents was so dirty that i was looking for other one but now its nice! Water woun`t take anthing off. I had 1908 China 20 cents, XF but super attack or smth was on it and this machine took it off without any scarches. Cleaning is expensive and machine cost couple of thousands dollars.

Can you give a definition of dirty ?

soil/ earth/ grime/ erde/ whatever ?

I am a university chemical engineer and a no injection autoclave would not cost more then 1000 dollars if only temperature is used to clean with the gas in a static form

( no pressure cleaning but chemical gas cleaning aided by high temperature )

all these are dirt but fat is the worst i think. Some coins have black spots on it, this machine takes these off.

I know one man who is selling coins and he works in Tartu University (chemistry) and he wanted to know how does my familiar clean coins cause his chemicals don`t clean so :ninja: And yes, this machine would cost over 5000 dollars! but it will bring money back.

best, Rain

Archived