CoinPeople.com

Mutinus Titinus (Priapus)

Ian

A new addition for me. A dark toned silver denarius (S.691) of the Roman Republic which is noted in Sear's `Roman Coins and their values' as having been struck in 90 BC.

The obverse depicts the bearded and winged diademed bust of the Roman god of fertitilty, Mutinus Titinus (aka Priapus). As an aside, history notes this god as being much worshipped by the young married women of Rome.

The reverse of the coin depicts the winged Pegasus with Q TITI below.

917387.jpg

• 5 years later...

Here's a Republican denarius I purchased recently. Mn.Aquilius 109/108 BC. Sol on the obverse, Roma as Luna in a biga on the reverse.

999636.jpg

Here's a Republican denarius I purchased recently. Mn.Aquilius 109/108 BC. Sol on the obverse, Roma as Luna in a biga on the reverse.

999636.jpg

Very nice coin. I've thought about doing some ancients a few times but to really get into them takes a great deal more work than I'm willing/able to put into it.

That's got to be the earliest radiate I've seen :lol:

Seriously, though, a very nice Sol piece.

Combined with Luna, just great :bthumbsup:

It's got to be one of the earlier Roman radiates; the Greeks had some earlier depictions of Helios.

I like the Sol/Luna combo as well :) This was part of a talk I did at our coin club with a topic of Sol Invictus. Those were 3rd century coins but this was a good excuse to get a Republican coin!

Archived