CoinPeople.com

New Half Cent for the Type Set ...

AuldFartte

Picked this beauty up at the local coin show this weekend. I've had a hard time finding a really nice Draped Bust Half Cent for my U.S. Type Set. When I saw this puppy, I had to have it :ninja:

The color is not quite right in this pic. I'll try for a better shot later.

916901.jpg

Wow! I really, really, really, really like that coin. Even if the color is slightly off in the picture, I think it still looks great. Good strike and surface.

Do you think it has had an old cleaning done? I've rarely seen any copper before the mid-1800's not cleaned.

Wow! I really, really, really, really like that coin. Even if the color is slightly off in the picture, I think it still looks great. Good strike and surface.

Do you think it has had an old cleaning done? I've rarely seen any copper before the mid-1800's not cleaned.

You know, I can't tell on this one. It is certainly possible because, as you said, most early copper (and silver for that matter) was cleaned or "wiped" long ago, then recolored or retoned. I think there's a good chance that this one was cleaned at some point in time. I'll bet I'd find out for certain if I submitted it to PCGS :grin"

What bothered me were the light/dark areas near the "HALF CENT" and some of the leaves on the reverse. Probably a cleaning loooong ago.

But hey, who cares? I'd buy it cleaned.

Sometimes one can be too fussy. That's just a damned fine coin, cleaned or not. And, its just enough off-center to be interesting and still serve as a great type coin. I'd just sit back and enjoy it. Great purchase.

Sometimes one can be too fussy. That's just a damned fine coin, cleaned or not. And, its just enough off-center to be interesting and still serve as a great type coin. I'd just sit back and enjoy it. Great purchase.

Thanks, Bill ;)

My sentiments exactly :ninja:

• 1 month later...
Picked this beauty up at the local coin show this weekend. I've had a hard time finding a really nice Draped Bust Half Cent for my U.S. Type Set. When I saw this puppy, I had to have it :ninja:

The color is not quite right in this pic. I'll try for a better shot later.

916901.jpg

Some collectors pay more for off-center coins. Great looker!

Archived