Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow those are gorgeous. I'm heading to Munich with a visit to Detlef Hilmer this weekend....can't wait to post the notes I get...while a bit on the pricey side, they've always been willing to negotiate and have the best selection in retail that I've ever seen. Bar none. Not an endorsement, just an observation! :bwink:

So each of these little towns and banks had their own engravers? wow.

They then ordered from American Banknote, Continental Banknote, National Banknote, or Homer Lee Banknote companies. Usually they did NOT have custom designs made because of the expense, but they used stock images that the printer had. All the printer did was block the vignettes into the hub to make a master plate for actually printing that particular note. I have notes from Canada, Peru, Russia, Dominican Republic that all used the same vignettes.

ABNCo was by then the largest printer in N. America, they subsequently tookover Continental, National and Homer Lee. When they bought Homer Lee in the mid 1880's they also got their multiple printing pass technology that was used for printing amazing multicolour notes.

• 2 weeks later...

A proof made by the Stati Tiskarna Prague in the late 40's/early 50's, using the original plate, of the famous 1000 korun 1934 (considered in 1937 to be "the most beautifull banknote of the world" at the Paris Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne

watermark: stars in circle (as the 1953 issues), unlike the original (head)

intaglio print of the reverse of the 1000 korun 1934, the black plate.

the paper is cut with miscare, 5-10 % more then the original.

Another variety exist, with the signatures of Svabinsky and Wolf and a number xxx/500, probably the mintage.

Untitled-1a.JPG

Besides this one, I know of only Northern Ireland notes that have computers on them. Are there any more?

Besides this one, I know of only Northern Ireland notes that have computers on them. Are there any more?

Macedonia 5000 dinar 1992 P# 7

COunt me in as one who didn't know about the tablets on the banknotes...cool finda and nice scans.

Not a supercool purchase per se but I got a stack of 25 crisp and sequential 2009 US$2 bills at the bank last week. I did not even know they had printed a 2009 batch so it was news to me!

I usually get ~50$ worth every week from my banks as I like to spend them (many people know me as the "odd money" guy...but i digress.