Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baxuss - Nice set of notes! I would think that this series would be seen more often, but I haven't seen many of them at all.

@MMMM - I buy these Chinese Vertical oriented notes - Private Bank Issues - more out of a curiosity than anything. Most of the ones I have are remainders, but I like them anyway. The few I have picked up that were issued are now going for some decent prices online...much more than I've paid for them. As for being real or counterfeit, I have had to take some chances, but the paper and printing all seem to pan out. I have only a couple of people in China that I feel comfortable in purchasing from, and even then I stay cheap. I fell into a couple that I thought might be counterfeit one time, but in consulting with an expert, they were confirmed to be variants of the printing system (different artists carving the same image in wood blocks as they wore out).

Here's my latest one. After this I hope to get back to the U.S. Colonials - gotta do some shopping!

j5uuzp.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the denomination appears to be 4000 copper (cents)?

I am only translating by book (and of those I have only a couple references), but I think that the 5th symbol down in the main center section looks to be the Yuan/Dollar symbol. The symbol above it is definitely "Copper".

I just got back from a very busy trip back home and am only now able to start trying to figure out my last two Chinese notes. I usually find more out than the seller knew - but not always.

I have some notes from 64 and 85, compared to those older notes, the new banknote feels like they used a bit heavier paper. The texture from the printing stands out a lot more on this note than the older. Also the "50" numbers along with the bars on the right and left side are higher relief, probably for the blind or the going blind like me.

Great note, I wonder who did the design. And was the signiture done then by hand or by one of the hand writing machines or print?

The designs were done primarily by the printers. Each printer who secured a contract to print notes needed to have ample equipment and enough font designs and sizes to be able to print a variety that the average person would not be able to do. As far as i know, unless the General Assembly's of the colony had some input, the printer would be left to make his designs. Signatures were done by hand I believe. If I'm correct, the auto pen was invented about 1800.

I couldn't believe it when I pulled these out of one of my local store's inventory today:

russia_pA33b_front.jpg

russia_pA33b_rear.jpg

russia_pA48-86_front.jpg

russia_pA48-86_rear.jpg

russia_pA49_front.jpg

russia_pA49_rear.jpg

russia_pA50_front.jpg

russia_pA50_rear.jpg

He also had a couple of date varieties of these notes (an 1866 5 ruble for example) that I bought as well. For those of you that don't do Russia, these are SO hard to come by in the States, especially in a retail store. I've only ever seen the 1 and 3 ruble 1866-1886 notes offered at a store or show here in the US. So excited...!