CoinPeople.com

the long hello

Hello, Coinpeople.

I spent a large chunk of my life working for a book wholesaler called Bookpeople, so maybe I'm predisposed to liking this place. The atmosphere is different from the other coin forum I spend time on; it's interesting to compare.

Right now, I'm more of a curator than a collector. I've spent eight months wallowing around in the collection I inherited from my father. My parents were from the Netherlands, and my dad built a massive collection of Dutch coins from 1818-1970s, along with earlier provincial coins, mainly from Westfriesland. I also have many tins full of duplicates, and mostly 19th-century coins from the U.S., Canada, Newfoundland, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, and on it goes.

My dad limited our family's involvement with his collection to looking up mintage numbers for him and delivering coins to dealers whenever one of us went to Europe. He didn't keep an inventory either, but I did find a 1978 Mevius catalog in which he'd marked all the coins in his main Netherlands collection, with his estimates of their grades.

Aside from researching what I have, I keep going off on tangents lilke tracking down information from a 1982 Dutch auction catalog or reading about King Zog of Albania and his love for perfumed cigarettes. All madness and no method, that's my motto.

It's hard to resist filling in some of the holes in my dad's collection, but I don't share that compulsion for complete sets. Since I'm a dilettante, my taste runs amok. Who knows where this will lead. Hoardpeople?

Welcome aboard, there are others of us around here that have a passion for Dutch coins too, I am personally addicted to Stuivers and gold Ducats myself. But lately with the help of our Dutch member, I have been collecting recent Netherlands commemoratives too.

It is nice that you have become interested in the legacy passed down to you, surely your father must be proud :ninja:

Welcome to Coin People, Marianne

One of the beautiful aspects of this hobby is that there are NO rules.

Collect what you like, complete sets or not, go off on as many tangets as you see fit, run amok quite often, you'll fit right in.

There is a whole bunch of history to explore in this hobby.

The main thing IMO is to have fun & learn along the way. :ninja:

Welcome marianne! What a great connecion with your father and family history. He may not have had many catalogs, but it is easy to merge this new interest with book collecting as well. Enjoy our fine community.

Welkom, Marianne, ik hoop dat je het hier naar je zin hebt :ninja:

Feel free to ask any questions you have, there's always someone here who knows the answer, we don't think there's such things as stupid questions here.

And, like Elverno mentioned, we like pictures.

www.omnicoin.com is a nice place to post your coin pictures.

Welkom, Marianne, ik hoop dat je het hier naar je zin hebt :ninja:

Feel free to ask any questions you have, there's always someone here who knows the answer, we don't think there's such things as stupid questions here.

And, like Elverno mentioned, we like pictures.

www.omnicoin.com is a nice place to post your coin pictures.

Ik kan over munten leren en mijn afschuwelijk Nederlands tezelfdertijd uitoefenen. Maar dat zou wel eens moeilijk kunnen zijn... voor iedereen. :lol:

Weiii......Bahasa apa ni? Tak faham laaaa..... :ninja:

:lol:

What I intended to say: "I can learn about coins and practice my horrible Dutch at the same time. But that would probably be difficult... for everyone."

It wouldn't surprise me if I actually said something about leering dentists eating tofu.

Ik kan over munten leren en mijn afschuwelijk Nederlands tezelfdertijd uitoefenen. Maar dat zou wel eens moeilijk kunnen zijn... voor iedereen.  :lol:

Not for me :ninja: And I know at least two more members here can read Dutch.

It wouldn't surprise me if I actually said something about leering dentists eating tofu.

Nope, you did it all perfectly well. I know far too many Dutch people who would wish they write it that well :cry:

I'd love to see the collection you're maintaining now. In case you need help with more current data on the coins, I have a 2005 Mevius here.

Not for me :ninja: And I know at least two more members here can read Dutch.

Nope, you did it all perfectly well. I know far too many Dutch people who would wish they write it that well :lol:

I'd love to see the collection you're maintaining now. In case you need help with more current data on the coins, I have a 2005 Mevius here.

Writing in Dutch is always an adventure for me. Will I put "groenten" (vegetables) when I mean "groeten" (greetings)? It has been known to happen.

I've started posting on Omnicoin under the name aglet. My photography skills are nonexistent, which you will see right away. But I bought a tripod and a gooseneck lamp, so it's just practice practice practice I guess.

A friend (Doug, are you out there?) put me in touch with a collector of Dutch coins when I had a mintage-related question. This collector was so horrified that I was using a 1978 Mevius that he bought me the new edition on his recent trip to the Netherlands. Hey, what's all this about... Euros?

I try not to ask the Dutch collector too many questions, because he is very deftig (proper) and I'm afraid of scaring him!

Hey, what's all this about... Euros?

Yep, we've got euros now.

I try not to ask the Dutch collector too many questions, because he is very deftig (proper) and I'm afraid of scaring him!

You can ask this Dutch collector any questions, I'm not easily scared :ninja:

I've started posting on Omnicoin under the name aglet. My photography skills are nonexistent, which you will see right away. But I bought a tripod and a gooseneck lamp, so it's just practice practice practice I guess.

Just been in Omni and I was pretty impressed by the coins that are listed yet. That 1898 proof rijksdaalder is gorgeous!!

And if you call that nonexistent photographing skills, beware when you have mastered it :ninja:

You have a wonderful looking collection! I look forward to seeing the Scandinavian pieces. Tervetuloa!

Thank you! I'll be posting some homely coins too, believe me.

My father had an enormous collection of Finnish stamps, but no Finnish coins. I will change that.

Sinun apuasi tarvitaan. :ninja:

Just been in Omni and I was pretty impressed by the coins that are listed yet. That 1898 proof rijksdaalder is gorgeous!!

And if you call that nonexistent photographing skills, beware when you have mastered it :ninja:

The Wilhelmina Proof is one of my favorites - it was quite a surprise when I found it.

Thanks for the support & for your kind comments. I will be pestering you in no time. :lol:

I have alot of world coins. I know I have some 1960's and even some 1950's I think. I have a German coin 1939-b with hendenburg on it and a natzi emblem on the back it is silver. I think it has a 2 on it. I'm not sure what all I have, but I know

I have alot.

Archived