CoinPeople.com

California Midwinter International Exposition

bill

Yes, the pin has been repaired, but it is a Schwaab product. I don't know about the medal. The same stock liberty head design was used on other medals for other events. It could be Schwaab or it could be another manufacturer combining their product with a Schwaab pin. While Schwaab was based in Milwaukee, they marketed their services nation wide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

983999.jpg

Okay, it looks like any of the many aluminum medals that appear earlier in the thread. That would seem to be the case except this so-called dollar (Hibler & Kappen 245A) is not documented anywhere in aluminum, just brass and copper. Today it is unique. Tomorrow, another one may turn up like this one did. For the time being, it is the rarest item in my collection.

• 2 months later...

Two related Midwinter items. Almost exonumia:

An aluminum key:

5115656975_b200f1b146.jpg

And a small cast iron skillet (these seem to be issued for a number of expositions):

5116258502_862a809f0d_z.jpg

1894 Aluminum

Schwaab Modified State Seal, SF Facts So-Called Dollar

Hibler & Kappen 257

45 mm EF

986862.jpg

Arguably the toughest so-called dollar of the series to acquire. I have one to go, but I have already passed on two because they were not the quality I wanted and several because they were too expensive. Otherwise, there are three tokens and medals that I am aware of that I have never seen offered for sale.

• 4 months later...

It is not often that I find something new, but I am still looking:

990723.jpg

I'm guessing this was a button or lapel stud with the stud cut off.

Although I already had a short stack, I couldn't resist this example with a souvenir sticker of German Day inside the lid:

5565604868_f81753a5d6_b.jpg

I have two of the "short" stacks and two "tall" stacks. They would hold $20 dollar gold pieces or anything else you might want to put in them. They also come as "sold" stacks similar to paperweights. They were also made for the 1893 Columbian exposition and I suspect other events as well.

I have two of the "short" stacks and two "tall" stacks. They would hold $20 dollar gold pieces or anything else you might want to put in them. They also come as "sold" stacks similar to paperweights. They were also made for the 1893 Columbian exposition and I suspect other events as well.

I have never seen these before. Can you show us a "tall" stack photo when you get a chance. As always, you have a wonderful collection and I thank you for sharing it with us.

I have never seen these before. Can you show us a "tall" stack photo when you get a chance. As always, you have a wonderful collection and I thank you for sharing it with us.

Its not as fancy a picture:

943384.jpg

• 2 months later...

Many so-called dollars are found holed for attachment. Although I already had several of these, I could not resist one with its original hanger.

5810583824_37d1f3f8e9_b.jpg

I haven't really thought about it until you asked. I guess that's something I'll have to do one day.

Another acquisition not cataloged in my article, a coin stack that would hold 2 1/2 dollar gold pieces.

5826547894_4724cc8f81_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

The last listed so-called dollar that I did not have in my collection.

995864.jpg

As it stands today, there is one die variety of a listed piece that I do not have in my collection and one shell that I do not have (also an unlisted piece). Otherwise, I now have every listed and unlisted piece known to me. There are two die trials of one piece that I do not own, but they are unique. There is one uniface piece that I do not own that may also be a die trial. It is also unlisted. I know of one, possibly two other pieces that I have never seen and I do not own (by definition). I have only read about them. Finally, there is one token attributed to Chicago that I (and others) believe is from the Midwinter Exposition. It is rare and I do not own one. I have seen one picture.

So, I can't close the books on this collection, but it will be a challenge to "complete" it to my satisfaction.

Okay, so soon after finishing I have the opportunity to acquire an unlisted piece that I never planned on owning as I never planned on having the opportunity to buy one. A fellow collector of Midwinter material decided to sell one of his.

So, I present an unlisted silver-plated copy of the "official medal." It is worn, but the plating is obvious. Actually it appears to have been applied with something more akin to a gilting process, a silver wash if you will.

996030.jpg

Wow, to be able to complete such a set.

Will you now go after the other variants still left, or call it complete !

Tom

I'll add them when I can. This is one set that I am not ready to sell.

More great stuff Bill. Were the short and tall stacks carried around in the pocket to hold coins or were they for use at home or office on the desk and such?

More great stuff Bill. Were the short and tall stacks carried around in the pocket to hold coins or were they for use at home or office on the desk and such?

I think they were souvenirs for the home or office. I suspect they were never used for coins, rather for other odds and ends or just decorative.

• 8 months later...

As I noted above, it is getting hard to add new pieces, but I did acquire a solid coin stack. This one does not open and might be thought of more as a paperweight.

7464328040_ddeb8ba896_c.jpg