• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1894 Bronze

Labor and Liberty Badge

32 mm, AU

I already had one of these, but unlike the first, this one is gilt.

955279.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1894 Aluminum

Wonderful Metal

38mm, Unc

956333.jpg

Same obverse die as the Spanish exhibit piece. Unknow manufacturer.

1894 Aluminum

Grizzly Bear, Golden Gate View

38 mm, Unc

956334.jpg

An unlisted so-called dollar from the Weber Collection. The medal is thicker than other medals produced for the fair and the reverse view is deeply dished. The base below the bear is signed, A. Hylen Chi, as are several other medals made for the fair. The reverse view is of the Golden Gate at beach level with Fort Point just visible on the right. The Golden Gate Bridge begins on the San Francisco side at about this point.

1894 Brass

Official Medal Type I So-Called Dollar

Hibler & Kappen 245

34 mm Unc

956377.jpg

I could not resist this gilt so-called dollar, the obverse is so beautiful. The reverse, unfortunately, is a struck through ??? probably a scrap of cloth and then gilt. The reverse is nearly perfect except for the striking error. If this were a US coin, it would have a value as an error piece.

• 1 month later...

1894 Nickel-plated?

Electric Tower/Firth Wheel Charm

25 mm, EF

958310.jpg

A rare charm(?) from the exposition showing the Firth Wheel on one side. It is one of only two pieces to show the wheel from this exposition.

• 4 weeks later...

1894 Aluminum

Lauer Administration Building So-Called Dollar

Hibler & Kappen 266

35 mm Unc

959464.jpg

Manufactures and Liberal Arts Building.

• 1 month later...

1894 Gold Charm

State Seal

11mm, Unc

961448.jpg

This tiny gold charm is one of a number issued in the 1800s in California, first meant to circulate as money and later renamed charms when the makers ran afoul of the government. This piece is usually listed as 1884 with an ambiguous date. I've carefully studied the shape of the third numeral and I believe it is in fact a 9 with the bottom loop closed by an engraving error. Whether these were actually sold at the Midwinter Exposition is conjecture, but the California gold exhibit and general gold mining exhibits were big draws.

1894 Gilt White metal

Bird's Eye View - Golden Gate

Hibler & Kappen 250 unlisted variety

38 mm Unc

961514.jpg

The standard aluminum variety of this medal is pictured earlier in this thread. The gilt version shown here is one of three known.

1894 Gilt Brass

Columbus Landing (the medal portion of the fob)

Eglit 463

28.4 mm, AU

3413230972_ea37c93512.jpg

An unexpected find at the Santa Clara Coin Show on Friday. I already had an example of the medal in my collection (see an earlier post in this thread), but it is nowhere near the quality of the the piece included in the fob pictured here. Many holed pieces were intended to be used as a component in fobs, but you don't encounter an intact example that often. The other pieces in this fob include a Liberty Head, the US Capital, and the Statue of Liberty. For me, this was a Wow! moment when I acquired it for my collection. For a larger image if you want to see the details better, click here.

• 3 weeks later...

1894 Gold Charm

State Seal

11mm, Unc

962724.jpg

While the earlier round charm might not be 1894, this eight-sided charm is clearly 1894. The charm was likely produced by Noble of Chicago and they were producing other medals shown here at the exposition. Even though the exposition is not mentioned on the charm, it is likely associated with the event.

1894 Gilt Brass

Columbus Landing (the medal portion of the fob)

Eglit 463

28.4 mm, AU

3413230972_ea37c93512.jpg

An unexpected find at the Santa Clara Coin Show on Friday. I already had an example of the medal in my collection (see an earlier post in this thread), but it is nowhere near the quality of the the piece included in the fob pictured here. Many holed pieces were intended to be used as a component in fobs, but you don't encounter an intact example that often. The other pieces in this fob include a Liberty Head, the US Capital, and the Statue of Liberty. For me, this was a Wow! moment when I acquired it for my collection. For a larger image if you want to see the details better, click here.

I didn't see this addition. Love it. How different.

• 1 month later...

Asmall charm similar to one shown earlier in this thread except that this medalette is off struck.

966764.jpg

• 2 months later...

1894 Aluminum

Lauer Exposition View So-Called Dollar

Hibler & Kappen 264

35.6 mm EF

Not as nice as the others in the set I am building, but it will do for now.

971239.jpg

• 4 months later...

My article on the Midwinter Fair exonumia (you saw some of it here in progress) is published in the October 2009 issue of the TAMS Journal.

• 4 months later...

My first genuinely new item (to me) purcahsed since I published my article:

4603170046_669be63882.jpg

Nice, bill. Are there names for the upper half of the badge and the lower half? I really like the log on the upper half. The designers of these badges had a lot of creativity in the small space they had to work with.

Are there names? Probably. I call the top half the pin bar (or name plate if there is a place for a name) and the bottom half the body. I'm sure there are formal names. Now I'm going to have to take a look this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Another new piece for me, one of the medalettes pictured above adapted to a stickpin by Schwaab Stamp and Seal. I don't know if that means they produced the medal as well, but it is a starting point.

4779207766_9a35a7ca9e.jpg

May 2011: Found a higher grade piece for my collection. Note the the same soldering technique on both pins leading me to believe both are original.

5810348819_534de5a1f1_b.jpg