CoinPeople.com

01.08.2006: Zimbabwe new Bearer Cheques

Ro.7

Guest Aidan Work

If anyone is going to get those cool Zimbabwean notes,please let me know.That Zimbabwean 1c. note is a cute one.How many other British Commonwealth countries apart from Hong Kong & Malaya (apart from Zimbabwe) have ever put out a banknote for 1c.?

You should email Krause to report these.Here's an email address; michaelt@krause.com .

Aidan.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Aidan Work

I have managed to get all of the set,except the $10,000 & $100,000 values.There are now 2 types of the $10,000 - with '10000' & '10 000' indicated.

Aidan.

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on that whole series.......

I would be very careful about buying any notes from a country that is experiencing such awful inflation. I think it's likely that the value of the notes will drop a lot as inflation destroys their face value. My guess is that the lower-deonimation notes in this series will be the most valuable in time as they are so worthless in Zimbabwe that they're unlikely to be used for long.

Guest Aidan Work

Owen,it is virtually impossible to find the Cent values,even in Zimbabwe.

You'd be lucky to pick up the Bearer Cheques from the 1c. to the 50c. denominations for $5.It cost me NZ$55 to get all of them,except the $10,000 & $100,000 ones in this issue.

I wonder what the 2008 edition of the Pick catalogue will price the new issue,plus the $50,000 & $100,000 Bearer Cheques that were issued in early 2006.

Zimbabwean notes have always been of interest to me,as it is a British Commonwealth-associated country,unlike the foreign countries of Mozambique & Cameroon.

Aidan.

• 1 month later...

a never ending story ;)

NEW BANKNOTES AGAIN FROM Zimbabwe :ninja:

Zimbabwe Independent (Harare)

February 2, 2007

Posted to the web February 2, 2007

Shakeman Mugari

THE Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) will introduce a new currency to replace the current bearer cheques any time soon as part of the Sunrise Project Part Two, the Zimbabwe Independent can reveal.

The new currency was due to be unveiled at RBZ governor Gideon Gono's monetary policy review held on Wednesday but the announcement was withheld at the last minute after serious policy considerations.

Yesterday Gono confirmed that the currency change was coming soon but could not give further details.

"It's coming soon, as for the features that you are talking about I shall not comment because of security issues," said Gono. "It will be very soon so people must not keep a lot of cash because we are not going back on the currency change."

But government sources said Gono could have been bluffing as the currency was still far from being introuduced.

"This could be a ploy to pre-empt those hoarding cash which is used for blackmarket activities. Gono is playing mind games here," a source said.

Government sources yesterday said the Zanu PF politburo on Wednesday approved the introduction of the new currency and what is left now is for the government through the Ministry of Finance to come up with a Statutory Instrument declaring the new currency.

The Independent was the first paper to reveal in July last year that Gono would slash three zeros from the currency. He later introduced a new family of bearer cheques in August as part of the Sunrise Project.

Gono stated in his address on Wednesday that the new currency was imminent but did not read out the relevant section (Pages 87-88) during the presentation.

"Reflecting this high state of preparedness, I am pleased to unveil to the nation the sample designs of this imminent roll-out under which all the current bearer cheques will be replaced by genuine currency, complete with internationally acclaimed safety features, with convenient characteristics for the visually impaired stakeholders," stated Gono.

Investigations reveal that the new currency, designed and printed by a German company, Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) was approved by Gono between June and October last year. G&D prints currencies for 100 countries in the world including the euro.

The new currency was delivered to Zimbabwe in October and was supposed to be unveiled on Wednesday.

Sources said the notes could not be introduced last year due to a number of technical issues chief among them the need to back the new currency with hard currency or gold. A source said the central bank has since September been building foreign currency stocks in preparation for the introduction of the new currency.

The sources said the central bank was also building up stocks of the new notes which should be introduced throughout the country in a space of 24 hours.

Sources said the imminent currency change is the main reason why Gono did not devalue the Zimbabwean dollar as was widely expected by the market when he presented his ninth monetary policy review statement since taking up his post in December 2003.

The biggest bill under the new currency dispensation is a $1 000 note while the smallest is a $1 note.

The largest under the current regime of notes is a $100 000 bearer's cheque while the smallest has a face value of one cent.

The decision not to introduce the new currency as initially scheduled was taken after consideration of International Monetary Fund (IMF) advice which said any new currency will not halt the economic collapse until the macroeconomic situation has been stabilised. The IMF's Article IV Consultation Mission which visited the country in December advised that there was need for a "package of mutually reinforcing policies to stabilise the economy" before any further policy decisions in the pipeline are implemented.

The IMF mission said the policy changes which include the removal of price distortions through removal of subsidies, curbing the RBZ's quasi-fiscal operations and reduction of money supply would help reduce inflation.

The sources said Gono was hoping that the economy will stabilise sufficiently in the next five months for him to introduce the currency.

Relevant Links

Southern Africa

Zimbabwe

Currencies

Confidential documents in the possession of this paper which are classified as "Top Secret" show that there will be seven denominations with $1 being the smallest and $1 000 the highest value. The documents show that the notes were approved by Gono between June and October last year. The one and 10 dollar notes were approved by Gono on July 6. The five dollar note was approved on June 30 while the $20 note was signed off on July 20. The $100 and $500 notes were approved in September while the $1 000 note was endorsed by Gono on October 27.

The $1 note has the image of the Victoria Falls and a buffalo while the $5 note shows the Kariba Dam wall and an elephant. The $10 note portrays agricultural activity and grain silos while the $20 note has a portrait of a mine site and a mine with a jack hammer.

The $100 note has a picture of the botanic gardens and the Great Zimbabwe conical tower while the $500 note has a portrait of a dairy farm.

Guest Aidan Work

Ro.7,it is proof of how loopy the Z.A.N.U.-P.F. economic policy really is.With the way things are going over there in Zimbabwe,I wouldn't be too surprised if inflation shoots up on a daily basis like it did in Germany (1923),Hungary (1945-46),& Yugoslavia (1990-98).

I will still be buying the new Zimbabwean Bearer Cheques of the 2007 & future issues.

Aidan.

Guest Aidan Work

Ro.7,it isn't correct to say 'Robert Mugabe' & 'gentleman' in the same sentence.Robert Mugabe & Z.A.N.U.-P.F. have been a pack of mass murderers & racists since the late 1960's.Ian Smith,the rebel Prime Minister of Rhodesia,was right in saying what would happen after Rhodesia was taken over & became Zimbabwe.

Rhodesia had a very strong economy when Ian Smith was in power,despite sanctions being imposed against Rhodesia by both the British Commonwealth & the United Nations.No-one starved back then.It is a totally different story,as the majority of the Zimbabwean people are now extremely impoverished.

The Zimbabwean Bearer Cheques,& the few banknotes are the only good things,apart from stamps,coins,& postal orders,to have ever come out of Zimbabwe.Zimbabwe is now on its knees.

Aidan.

• 4 weeks later...

and again.......... :ninja:

Inflation-hit Zimbabwe has New Banknotes

01 Mar, 2007 - Zimbabwe's central bank, battling the world's highest rate of inflation, Thursday introduced two new banknotes in a bid to make life easier for shoppers. The new notes are in denominations of 5,000 and 50,000 Zimbabwe dollars.

They were announced in a full-page advertisement published in the official Herald newspaper. Officially the new notes are worth 20 and 200 US dollars, but on the widely-used parallel market they are worth much less than that: 50,000 Zimbabwe dollars buys only around 7 US dollars at the moment. The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) said the new bills were being 'introduced for your (Zimbabweans) convenience.'

Last July the RBZ struck three zeros off the local currency and introduced a new set of bank notes after Zimbabweans had to carry large wads of old currency for simple transactions. But inflation has soared since July and now tops 1,593 per cent. As prices rise, shoppers have once again found themselves forced to carry large stashes of paper cash that often will not fit in purses and wallets. The highest denomination local banknote is currently 100,000 Zimbabwe dollars.

Central bank governor Gideon Gono last month proposed a four-month freeze on all prices and wages starting March 1 in a last-ditch bid to tame inflation. Its still not clear if companies are willing to abide by the freeze.

Extract from Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Heute, 18:18

Not meaning to get too politcal here but...

I surprised he's still alive & that no ones tried to assasinate the old f***er.

Seriously since Rhodesia was renamed in the 1980's(?) & he's been in charge the country has become an appaling state. Unemployment at 80%!!!!!! and all those farms he took back from the whites to give to true Zimbabweans never happened, he just sent in his bully boys & ruined all of the farms.

I never normally say this but the sooner he's gone the better.

Interesting banknotes by the way, just purchased a $50 one

• 2 weeks later...
On another note I noticed that the new $5000 note has February 2007 date as the issue dat but still has 31st July 2007 expiry date, are they going to relaunch a "proper" set of banknotes by this date or is this just so that a load more people will be out of pocket again

Until today, it is just a big mess on the currency issuing matter in this country. It is more like a post dated cheque than a currency. I may consider buying one or two pieces to represent Zimbawe. They are inexpensive especially with the lower denomination.

:ninja:

Until today, it is just a big mess on the currency issuing matter in this country. It is more like a post dated cheque than a currency. I may consider buying one or two pieces to represent Zimbawe. They are inexpensive especially with the lower denomination.

There's a shop in Central London selling $1-$1000 notes which I am going to purchase today, although I already have the $50 note.

I think they are interesting notes although are quite a sad tale of what a mental despot has done to his country, especially considering that in 2002/3 they had some rather colourful notes

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aidan Work

Derrick,the Bearer Cheques are the Zimbabwean inflation banknotes.Officially,inflation is at 1,700%,yet it is more like 1,700,000% inflation.The older issues have become increasingly difficult to find.I was very lucky to have snapped up the 2006 issue of the old $50,000 purple & $100,000 green Bearer Cheques.

Since Mugabe & his fellow nutcases took over what was Rhodesia,Zimbabwe has been a notaphilist's paradise,despite the fact that life in Zimbabwe is like living in the Lake of Fire in Hell.

Aidan.

Derrick,the Bearer Cheques are the Zimbabwean inflation banknotes.Officially,inflation is at 1,700%,yet it is more like 1,700,000% inflation.The older issues have become increasingly difficult to find.I was very lucky to have snapped up the 2006 issue of the old $50,000 purple & $100,000 green Bearer Cheques.

Since Mugabe & his fellow nutcases took over what was Rhodesia,Zimbabwe has been a notaphilist's paradise,despite the fact that life in Zimbabwe is like living in the Lake of Fire in Hell.

Aidan.

But was Mugabe always like this? Somebody told me when he first got in power he wasn't that bad.

Now he's just a despot who needs shooting

But was Mugabe always like this? Somebody told me when he first got in power he wasn't that bad.

Now he's just a despot who needs shooting

He probably had the seeds of stupidity long ago, but old age and a failing sense of reality have made him crazier than a bed bug the past few years. He is 83 yrs old.

Too bad the British cannot come in with South Africa , Zambia, and Botswana and just invade and "regime change" the place. Sadly Zimbabwe is one of those countries that was never prepared for independence. The forcible seizure of the white owned farms started the whole mess, and now that land appropriation and the resultant chaos that has caused will take generations to fix.

It will not be long before he is plowed under, but whomever replaces him from within will not be good for Zimbabwe either ~ the whole political scene there needs to be flushed out and started all over again - which is why I suggest that the Commonwealth needs to take the lead, because they can do it and make something good happen.

He probably had the seeds of stupidity long ago, but old age and a failing sense of reality have made him crazier than a bed bug the past few years. He is 83 yrs old.

Too bad the British cannot come in with South Africa , Zambia, and Botswana and just invade and "regime change" the place. Sadly Zimbabwe is one of those countries that was never prepared for independence. The forcible seizure of the white owned farms started the whole mess, and now that land appropriation and the resultant chaos that has caused will take generations to fix.

It will not be long before he is plowed under, but whomever replaces him from within will not be good for Zimbabwe either ~ the whole political scene there needs to be flushed out and started all over again - which is why I suggest that the Commonwealth needs to take the lead, because they can do it and make something good happen.

Something needs to be done. I do wonder though whether or not, when the time comes, the Zimbabwe name will remain. I presume to distance themselves away from THAT regime they may call it something else, calling it Rhodesia again will be a no no but could be a possibillity.

It's getting a bit politcal in here isn't it :ninja: anymore note news

Archived