CoinPeople.com

Good Evening - New Member

Hi, everyone. Just stumbled across this site today. I hope its a lot of help and a lot of fun.

I've been a collector for a good amount of time. Tomorrow I'll be in Baltimore hoping to find some keys for my collection. I'm nearing the completion of a decent Peace Dollar series and a great $1 Silver Certificate (beginning 1923) collection.

Since I do not have a huge budget, I will be have to be patient for some of the key bills/notes in these series as well as another series I'm working on. In the meanwhile, I'd like to start another series and need some advice.

I've always been intrigued with indian cents, liberty nickels, and the barbers. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which series is the best for me to focus my attention, patience, and money on?

I'm leaning towards the Barber Dimes. They seem to be a good balance between adventure and budget. The V nicks are gorgeous, affordable in great condition, but there are only a few coins that will require some patience.

The Indian Head pennies are also gorgeous, would provide a good hunt, but will require a larger budget.

The Barber dimes would provide more of a hunt than the nickels but wouldn't need the budget of indian head cents. I'm thinking of pursuing the dimes in XF or higher grades.

Could anyone let me know what they think or suggest?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to becoming a regular forum member.

PS. I'm live in the Va area but go to school at Northwestern in Chicago.

Welcome to the boards!

I am sure if you stay a while you will find many friendly and knowledgable folks to help you in your collecting endeavors. I know that I have learned quite a bit here, especially on world issues, and I try my best to help out when I can.

I've been collecting for a long while too, and like you I completed a Peace dollar set (though I am still working on the certified set!). I have recently done a little more in the currency side, but I've got a long way to go to complete anything resembling a set. So far it's just a smattering of notes saved from circulation as well as some large size notes.

As for your next endeavor, I like V nickels and Barbers a lot. I personally think Liberty nickels are one of the most underrated series right now as the Buffalos and Jeffersons get all the attention. Like you mentioned, they are very affordable in higher grades and I saw a complete set at my local coin club show last April and it was quite a sight. Barbers are very challenging (whether dimes, quarters or halves) as they tend to be found either worn out or super high grade. I've spoken to many long-time collectors and they almost uniformly agree that assembling a complete set in XF-AU is a challenge for a lifetime. So it might require a lot of patience, but when you finally finish, you'll have a set to be very proud of.

Congrats on attending Northwestern, it's a very good school. Are you pursuing your undergrad or graduate degree? In any case I wish I'd been like you and stayed with collecting in school instead of wasting all my money on beer!

Welcome to the boards and enjoy your stay!

Welcome to Coin People Mr. DP

It sounds to me like you'll fit right in here. :ninja:

As for your next set... it sounds to me like you have already made up your mind. :lol: Go with your gut feeling. You can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Let us know what you decide.

HAVE FUN!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived