CoinPeople.com

10 Yen Design- Dragon? Have you seen this before?

unterdude

So I've looked around the web to see if anyone has any further information about this note.. but I haven't seen any websites with even an image of this. Usually, the 10 yen notes from the 40's have that one dude on the obverse.. but this one has a picture of a dragon! I have about 200 of the ones with the dude on it (from my grandfather) and only one of this, so I'm wondering if it is rare/has any value. Without hesitation though, pics.

Obverse

pict3019hb0.jpg

Reverse

pict3021db7.jpg

Thanks in advance :ninja:

I believe that this is a Military yen note used in territory occupied by Japan on the Asian mainland. I'll do some more research on it...

I believe that this is a Military yen note used in territory occupied by Japan on the Asian mainland.

I believe this to be true. If so, it would be China Military M19 (Title A - the characters at top) and though not rare, it isn't seen for sale/auction too often. My catalogue (8th edition - a few years old) gives a price of about 6 dollars for UNC.

Curiously though, there are more issues of this note. For one, there is M20 which has a longer title (More characters at top) and that one lists for 40.00 in this old catalogue.

And then French Indo China also used these notes, though their color scheme was different. They used blue with pink underprint on M4 listed at 3,000.00 (!) and they also had M7 that was brown and blue lithograph, for a more affordable 4.00.

This is the military issue used in China by the Japanese. Dave is right that there are three different versions of this note. The one with the longer title is significantly scarcer. The Indo-China issue is a different color and has a prefix in the block number.

This is the military issue used in China by the Japanese.  Dave is right that there are three different versions of this note.  The one with the longer title is significantly scarcer.  The Indo-China issue is a different color and has a prefix in the block number.

Yes you are right after I took a good look at it. I didn't pay attention to the Chinese writing at the back.

Here is some other examples on Ron wise's collection: Link

Archived