913352.jpg

This just arrived from Germany!

Very nice coin... some facts:

Mintage: 733.121

Weight: 16.667g (AG 900 / CU 100)

diameter: 33,0mm

Mint : Stuttgart (F)

in uncirculated condition 100 Euro

Where did you buy it? (and how much did you pay? :lol::ninja: )

Marvin

OK, you have the eagle, shield at breast and crown above. What is the ring in the middle around the shield?

Where did you buy it? (and how much did you pay?  :lol:  :ninja: )

Marvin

Bought it from a dealer in Germany, and paid well under book for it :cry:

Is it proof? It looks somewhat prooflike...

Nope, just prooflike.

OK, you have the eagle, shield at breast and crown above.  What is the ring in the middle around the shield?

19143mdetail.jpg

Wow, great detailed picture! That large eagle was apparently modeled after, or supposed to remind of, the eagle of the Holy Roman Empire. In the middle there is a shield featuring a small Prussian eagle with the CoA of the Hohenzollern dynasty. That small eagle/shield is surrounded by the chain and the cross (below) of the Order of the Black Eagle.

On the pre-1890 coins the shield is much larger. After that, the large eagle was wider and the shield/CoA was made smaller (like on this coin). Thus more emphasis was put on the "German eagle", and a little less on the "Prussian eagle" ...

Christian

Wow, great detailed picture! That large eagle was apparently modeled after, or supposed to remind of, the eagle of the Holy Roman Empire. In the middle there is a shield featuring a small Prussian eagle with the CoA of the Hohenzollern dynasty. That small eagle/shield is surrounded by the chain and the cross (below) of the Order of the Black Eagle.

On the pre-1890 coins the shield is much larger. After that, the large eagle was wider and the shield/CoA was made smaller (like on this coin). Thus more emphasis was put on the "German eagle", and a little less on the "Prussian eagle" ...

Christian

Angeber... so genau wollten wir das gar nicht wissen :ninja::lol:

Christian

The level of knowledge on these forums is astounding!

The level of knowledge on these forums is astounding!

Yeah, I'm fairly good at translating into English what my German catalog says. :ninja: Actually I don't see such a coin very often - I mean, one where even the tiny eagles in the chain of the Order are clearly visible ...

@Mortyr2012: Oh, didn't we? :lol:

Christian

There are no proofcoins known...
KM lists 1908-1914 proof with value $175

Here is 1913 proof:

Photos:

3Mark_Wuerttemberg_av.jpg

3Mark_Wuerttemberg_rv.jpg

Scans:

1913_Wuertt_Wilhelm_II_av_resize.jpg

1913_Wuertt_Wilhelm_II_rv_resize.jpg

Cheers,

jeggy

Nifty, one can actually see that the chain is made up of alternating eagles and whatever those round centered crosses are :ninja:

Nifty, one can actually see that the chain is made up of alternating eagles and whatever those round centered crosses are :ninja:

This is some detail of the original "Kette des Schwarzen Adlerordens"

(Chain of the Order of the Black Eagle):

Orden-Bild4.jpg

German description:

Die Kette besteht aus abwechselnd goldbewehrten Schwarzen Adler auf goldenen Donnerkeilen und schmalen, goldgesäumten blauen Reifen. Am reifäußeren befinden sich vier Königskronen. Im Zentrum des Reifes befindet sich ein goldbordiertes, weißes Medaillon. Auf diesem steht mit goldener Schrift die Ordensdevise. Das Medaillon ist mit dem Außenreif durch die Initialen F(ridericus) R(ex) verbunden. Dabei steht der Buchstabe F 8mal, davon 4mal in Spiegelschrift und der Buchstabe R 4mal jeweils in einem Kreis. Die Initialen sind in hellgrün gehalten und goldbordiert.

My translation: (please excuse badly translated phrases)

The chain consists of alternating gold-plated black eagles on golden flash arrows and narrow gold-purled blue circles. At the edges of the circles, there are four King's crowns. In the middle of the circle, there is a white colored, gold-bordered medallion. On this, one can read the motto of the order ("Suum Cuique"). The medallion is connected to the outer circle by the initials F(ridericus) R(ex). The letter "F" is mounted eight times, four times in mirror writing, the letter "R" four times. The light-green colored initials are gold bordered.

Source:

http://www.lange-kerls.de/history/history_detail.php?id=5

Cheers,

jeggy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I wonder why the chain's eagles into coin are with heads turned to the cross, and in picture are turned from the cross

Good observation banivechi, I didn't notice that at all :ninja:

I guess that there wasn't a rule in which direction the eagles had to look to.

Look at the obverse of the 1914 3 Mark coin, Wilhelm is depicted with the chain, one eagle looks in that direction, the next into another and so on ...

J113-1914-small.jpg

Archived