CoinPeople.com

1803 War Again

1803 1,000 Year Celebration, Hamburg.

898883.jpg

39mm silver by Loos

A beautiful medal, or it would be if it hadn't been loved to death. But, instead of hundreds of dollars for an example this one cost me a bit more than the value of the silver. Now if I win the lottery...

1803 Négociations avec L'Angle-Terre, France.

Bramsen 267

d'Essling 993

Milan 395

898544.jpg

14mm silver Link

A beautiful medal, about the size of a fingernail. This is much more common in copper and the obverse says something like "Arm for Peace". Not true then either...

1803 Friedrich Wilhelm III, Prussia.

901290.jpg

30mm silver Link

There was a meeting of the German princes in August of 1802 in Erfurt to ratify portions of the Peace of Amiens. This medal appears to commemorate the event.

1803 La ville de Lille à Napoléon, France.

Bramsen 263

d'Essling 991

Milan 392

901228.jpg

50mm Link

Another of the medals that told of the loyalty of a particular city, in this case Lille, to the First Consul and his government. It is quite scarce.

The "NP" refers to a collection of coins and medals that were given to me by an Italian friend I made through my website. The coins and medals were duplicates from his world-class collection that spans five generations of collectors.

1803 La Venus de Medicis, France.

Laskey XXVIII

Bramsen 280

d'Essling 1001

903083.jpg

40mm Link

This medal was struck on the occasion of Napoleon visiting the Musée Française. One of the projects he pursued during this period of peace was to establish most of the national museums of art that exist to this day. The collections were made up of the art looted by French armies from the beginning of the Revolution. While most of that art was returned to its rightful owners after the wars much of it makes up the astounding collections in the Louvre and others.

1803 La Fortune Conservatrice, France.

Laskey XXX

Bramsen 275

d'Essling 999

913372.jpg

34mm Link

Napoleon actually believed in the power of "Luck". He felt that he'd rather have lucky commanders on his side than technically competent ones that were unlucky. This medal commemorates what Laskey called: "the evident good fortune that had attended Napoleon during the first four years of his reign..."

1803 Academy in Stockholm, Sweden.

897922.jpg

39mm Link

Daniel Melanderhjelm was a Swedish mathematician and astronomer who lived from 1726-1810. He was professor of astronomy at the University of Upsala. He retired in about 1796, becoming emeritus; this medal commemorates some other honor bestowed on him, perhaps a Swedish title of nobility. He and an Italian astronomer coauthored a book on movements of the moon.

1803 Grand Conseil du canton de Vaud. France.

Bramsen 265

d'Essling 992

898031.jpg

46mm bronze RR Link

On February 19, 1803, Napoleon finished the disagreements between the Swiss cantons, by an act of mediation which, by giving to Switzerland a new federative pact, established the particular constitution of each canton. This has been the basis of modern Switzerland ever since. At the time it was not appreciated as it was imposed upon the Swiss by Napoleon, who was tired of the instability on his borders.

A very rare medal, one of the few that precise mintage figures is known. This is one of 163 struck. The reverse had an old collector's inked number on the broad horizontal band, partially removed by another collector. You can see the remnant of the number '151' if you look closely.

And a silver restrike, struck between 1846-1860:

901289.jpg

1803 Agents de change de Lyon, France

Bramsen 266

d'Essling 1947

901592.jpg

31mm Link

A rough translation is that this was issued by the stockbrokers of Lyon. This is a post-1880 restrike and is in near unc condition.

And this is an original, it started life as silvered brass.

913385.jpg

1803 Conquete du Hanovre, France

Laskey XXVII

Bramsen 271

d'Essling 995

901229.jpg

40mm Link

Loaded with political overtones, the obverse is supposed to be an English bulldog, tearing up the Treaty of Amiens. There is a deliberate die break under the French word rompu (or break) that distinguishes an original strike. On the reverse is Victory riding a Hanoveran horse, and proclaims that it was made of silver (obviously not for a copper example) from the mines of Hanover. Hanover was ruled by George III at this time.

Neither Napoleon or Great Britain had intended the Peace of Amiens to be anything more than a respite. The excuse for Napoleon was that the British had not evacuated Malta and for the British was Napoleon's interference in both Switzerland and in Italy.

That's a bulldog? (I don't doubt you, but .....) Maybe its the same guy who does sailing ships?

1803 Rétablissement du monument Jeanne d'Arc à Orléans, France.

Bramsen 272

d'Essling 997

901593.jpg

55mm Link

Ever been responsible for destroying a thing of beauty? ... :ninja:

The whole period of the Revolution through the Empire looked back to the great heroes and heroines of France for inspiration. This may seem strange since we are used to looking at the exploits of the French Army of this time as the highlights of French martial efforts. To the people of the time however the lives of Jeanne D'Arc and Henri IV were the standards to be measured by.

That's a bulldog? (I don't doubt you, but .....) Maybe its the same guy who does sailing ships?

Yeah, it looks more like a mix of leopard and bulldog to me but French references consistently call that thing a "bulldog". Go figure...

Archived