Austria: 1, 2 & 5 Corona (St.Schwartz) 1909-1916

Tane

899586.jpg

1 Corona 1913

900510.jpg

2 Corona 1913

900220.jpg

5 Corona 1909

These magnificent coins were minted in Vienna right before the first world war and during it. Coins bear the portrait of the second last Habsburg emperor, Franz Josef I, engraved by Stefan Schwartz. Both sides of the 2 Corona, the new coin introduced in 1912, are engraved by Schwartz, while the other coins still had old reverses.

These magnificent coins were minted in Vienna right before the first world war and during it. Coins bear the portrait of the second last Habsburg emperor, Franz Josef I, engraved by Stefan Schwartz. Both sides of the 2 Corona, the new coin introduced in 1912, are engraved by Schwartz, while the other coins still had old reverses.

This is most likely the same Schwartz who engraved the Serbian silver coins of Petar I just prior to the creation of Yugoslavia, correct? I know the early issues (1904 & 1912) were struck at the Vienna mint, while the later issue (1915) was struck both in Vienna and Paris (some of the Paris issues have his signature removed).

Yep, same guy. He has engraved dies for many east-European countries, like Bulgaria, Serbia and Montenegro, propably for Hungary too. On bulgarian coins his signature is under the portrait of Ferdinand I and on montenegrin coins under the leaves which are under the portrait of Nikola I. On montenegrin coins there are only his initials, SS. Bulgarian coins also bear the mintmark of Kremnitz, a cyrillic KB.

Some of his other works:

899584.jpg

Montenegro, 1 Perper 1912

900496.jpg

Serbia 50 Para 1915

Schwartz was rather good at his job :ninja:

I'm a big fan of his.

• 1 year later...
That doesn't really look like a 50 para.... :ninja:

No it doesn't. :lol:

I went to Omnicoin to see if Tane had accidentally linked the wrong coin, but I could not find one under his name. But it sure seems like everyone else has this coin except you and I!! :cry: