CoinPeople.com

The Coinpeople 10 Guinea Notes

Ætheling

Well i'm not sure how this will be recieved, but there's no better way to find out than to throw it into the ring and hope for the best.

Well the reverse of the design shows the fictional Temple of Minerva located in the Olympian Islands (also fictional), but this is CP and we can imagine what we like.

Minerva is the Roman goddess of War and Wisdom and is associated and often conflated (i.e combined) with her Greek equivalent the goddess Athena (or Athene), who was the patron goddess of the Greek city state of Athens in classical times. The overall design is a segment of the front facade of the temple showing some of the columns. On the original drawing the roof is complete, however here the top triangular segment and the corner segment of the right have been removed so that it would fit on the note. (Which gives the temple an odd appearance granted)

The temple is partially inscribed with 'IVPPITER OPTIMVS MAXIMVS' - Jupiter Bestest and Greatest, which was a typical dedication to the god Jupiter (aka Zeus in Greek) in the Classical World, and therefore links in with the old tradition of the Capitoline Triad; Zeus, Hera and Athena (in Greek tradition), Jupiter, Juno and Minerva in the Roman.

One might also notice the presence of an Owl in the temple's pediment, the owl was forever associated with the Goddess Minerva/Athena after one took up residence in one of her temples. And consequently became a bird regarded as wise, since Athene was the goddess of wisdom, amongst other things.

There were two reasons why Minerva was chosen for this particular note, firstly because she happens to be my favourite of the Græco-Roman goddesses and secondly because she will be forever associated with the coinage as the famous Athenian Owl Tetradrachms shows all too well.

Thus to Minerva this note is duly dedicated.

gallery_8_39_10783.jpg

gallery_8_39_29598.jpg

These pictures were borrowed from Art, the notes look almost exactly like this except the serial numbers don't have white boxes around and the mint letter will be S rather than A.

The notes measure 9.7cm X 6cm, and when held up to the light there is a security strip hidden within that shows up.

The two notes are numbered; CPGA 10605 & CPGA 10606. (Please note that the number run from 601-606 were accidentally issued with black mintmarks rather than dark green ones, this has now been corrected and 607 onwards will not have this error. So only 5 of these notes will ever be available as i'm keeping 601 for my own collection).

Bidding will start at 50 cents (shipping is free as i'll pay that) and the auction will end at 20.00 hours GMT on Thursday 30 June.

Good luck and remember it's for a good cause.

I'm sure that Æ has noble intentions, however, I would like to mention that Coinpeople Site does not and never did ask for any donations.

Never said it did. Although of course if the CP Dollar idea takes off and you need money to buy in stuff to sell for the CP Dollars this should be a good way of helping to make the whole thing self supporting.