CoinPeople.com

Katrina Relief Auctions...

I have already pulled some stuff out, but I want some feedback before we start. How do we want to submit payment? It was brought up in debates that paypal deducts their 3% even when donated to charity. We could collect checks, but that would be tough for any of our European friends who would like to help.

Also, which charity or charities do you want your money to go to? Let the discussion begin.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd suggest Paypal and the person can include the extra in their payment to cover the fees or just assume that the bid covers the donation and the fees.

Red Cross or Salvation Army would be my choices.

Well, I'm playing with the idea of putting a spot up just for the Katrina auctions. Feedback please. If I do that I'll put it up later tonight, otherwise, anyone can put up auctions as soon as they're ready.

We could collect checks, but that would be tough for any of our European friends who would like to help.

Err, what is a "check"? Have not used or seen such a thing for years. :ninja: Seriously, PayPal would be fine. And as for the fee, see Trantor_3's reply ...

Which charity the money goes to is something the US based members should decide. Of course the Red Cross sounds good to me, but other than that, while I am somewhat familiar with the situation here in DE, I don't know much about such organizations in the US.

Christian

How about a compromise on the Red Cross / Salvation Army debate?

I say that each should get a proportional amount based on what our members vote on.

I have worked for the Red Cross, about 2.5 years ago. Unfortunately I learned a few negative things about them, at least in our local chapter. They were a bit top heavy organisation, they were disorganised, and many of the top people are rather well compensated considering the nature of the organisation for which they work. So the Red Cross will not get my vote for these funds. I think I do enough for them by collecting donations at work.

Paypal would be easiest for me, I'll increase my payment with the required percentage, so the right amount of money will go to charity.

I think Red Cross would be a good place to send the money to

I agree on both counts as my personal preference.

I am going to offer up a roll each of P and D new buffalo nickels straight from the bags I have. I think I also have a coupl of original Buffs and Lib Nicks too.

I have a bunch of world coins too but I need to take a look and see what is what in that pile.

And, of course, I wil be bidding. :ninja:

I just found out that NGC will match up to $25,000 in donations to the Red Cross by their dealers, Collector Society Members and message board members. Since I am a member there, I will try to get the matching funds from them as well, and would advise anyone else here that is a member there to do so also. Here is a Link.

I would be willing to give donations to the Salvation Army instead for those who wish to give to them. I don't really want to start splitting to a bunch of charities though. I have a Salvation Army Center a block away from me. I can personally walk the donations over.

So if I am to collect the money, I'll ask people to specify either Red Cross or Salvation Army.

Just as a note... the top three bidders in my Katrina auctions will get bonus prizes. For the top giver a Copy of the 1933 Saint Gaudens coin, for the 2nd and 3rd most givers each get a Mashimaro pen. (Mashimaro is the bunny in my avatar) :ninja:

Hey if we can get it doubled then I'm going that route.

I Personaly am not a NGC message board member. Maybe one I can have my payments sent your way to dontate jtryka?

-Bobby

Bobbycoin and anyone else, I would be willing to make your donations to the Red Cross so that we can double the amount through NGC. Just make sure you send me an e-mail or PM so I can keep an accurate record and get the appropriate documentation to NGC for the matching gift program.

Oh yes and jtryka I will be taking you up on that offer when the auctions end, I will instruct the winners to send payment off to you (If you want to PM me your mailing addy we can be ahead of the game) and then send you a PM so you can expect it.

Thanks!

-Bobby

UPDATE: I added an Ended Katrina Sub-Forum to the Katrina auction forum. I plan to move them quickly when they end to make room for those still going on.

Also, those who still plan to auction coins for donation it may be a good idea to wait until Monday after the core of the first wave ends so they don't get hidden. Just a thought.

That's a good idea. I have a few items to add to the auctions but I'll wait until next week to give the dust a chance to settle a bit.

I think the Katrina needs will go on for quite a long time. I am hoping to post one or two items for auction every week for an extended period of time. I hope that's ok with everyone.

Archived