CoinPeople.com

Various interesting pieces...

NumisMattic2200

Following on from my earlier post of coins won at a recent auction..some more that could do with more information and or idenitification..

1. Battered King Louis Philippe I medal, "L'Armee au Duc D'Orleans Prince Royal" with date MDCCCXLII (1852)

24m5jde.jpg

esoxf4.jpg

2. C.C. Sporrong & Co. Stockholm : 5 ON (?!)

szzu42.jpg

iekvnd.jpg

3. Ships, Colonies & Commerce???

28lvo7s.jpg

anymc7.jpg

4. Leo XIII Pont. Max / Erinnerung A.D. 50 Jahr Priester Jubilaum SrH. Papst Leo XIII. 31. Dez. 87

2afh9gk.jpg

11se5n7.jpg

5. (looks more recent) Michaelangelo's "La Pieta" medal / Paulus VI Pont. Max

2hxujko.jpg

2i91jdg.jpg

6. The first side of this I cannot even read the writing, second side has "Aus der Huette (1967) Brixlegg in Tirol (Glueck Auf)

2uemwjt.jpg

2ecnlhs.jpg

7. Hollandia Restitutie - I'm sure I've seen this somewhere before..

2wrm42e.jpg

9lg56q.jpg

8. Anyone know more about this Moon Landing medal?

1zfhiqa.jpg

333g10h.jpg

9. This one is VERY interesting!

What are the symbols? Scandinavian? Look like punch marks..

15z1eg9.jpg

2up5jc6.jpg

10. I Premio : Catechismo Parrochiale - Jeton???

258seiv.jpg

2epuko0.jpg

11. What is the history of these countermarks?

10ojqzk.jpg

28bbhav.jpg

12. "Rutulans Rose Sine Spina" : "Tueatur Unita Deus"??

ip9y1j.jpg

16hoh34.jpg

13. Quite smallish Jeton of Louis XV

245fp8m.jpg

2u47g3d.jpg

14. Really weird "Schei de Mona" : "Fa Ben a Tutti" (Scheidemuenze??)

2mn2b8i.jpg

ir4139.jpg

15. Vale 1 Minestra : "Manifattura di Rivarolo E S. Giorgio Canavese"

2zjkdwi.jpg

29zoqhk.jpg

12. "Rutulans Rose Sine Spina" : "Tueatur Unita Deus"??

ip9y1j.jpg

16hoh34.jpg

Looks to be a forgery of a James I Halfgroat.

Rosa Sine Spina literally means a 'Rose Without Thorns'. It should have I D G before it which would be 'Iacobvs Dei Gratia' so it would be, 'James, by the Grace of God, a thornless rose'.

Tveatvr Vnita Devs, would translate to something along the lines of 'May God Guard these Kingdoms'.

Here's a genuine one: image01031.jpg

My Latin is not good enough to give you correct declensions and such but I believe this to be an imitation of a James I halfgroat.

As for your number three, well, some rummaging around has thrown up the info that it is a brass token minted circa 1815. It, apparently, bears the answer given by Napoleon when questioned "What three things could be overcome to defeat the British Empire?"

They were, supposedly, to have been emergency money from 1830-60, as halfpennies, in Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Isle of Man and Lower Canada and struck by Halliday, Heaton et al. Some were struck in New York and have the USA Flag on the ship whilst others were minted in Birmingham.

Here's one for sale: http://countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/canada_token.html

As for your number three, well, some rummaging around has thrown up the info that it is a brass token minted circa 1815. It, apparently, bears the answer given by Napoleon when questioned "What three things could be overcome to defeat the British Empire?"

They were, supposedly, to have been emergency money from 1830-60, as halfpennies, in Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Isle of Man and Lower Canada and struck by Halliday, Heaton et al. Some were struck in New York and have the USA Flag on the ship whilst others were minted in Birmingham.

Here's one for sale: http://countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/canada_token.html

Dear YeOldeCollector,

Thanks a lot for this web site link. I just bought this token for my daugther.

Is there any possibility to figure out when this token was minted. How did you find that the NumisMattic2200's token minted in 1815?

Thank you,

Serguei

How did you find that the NumisMattic2200's token minted in 1815?

Serguei,

The date suggested for these tokens, as there are several varieties, is circa 1815. This means that they might have been made for a couple of years either side. They are unusual tokens and not much is known about them, but they are certainly interesting!

Very nice information Clive, of course that's P. Edward island Canada not in the S. Settlements region..?..

Yes, it is the province of Canada.

Serguei,

The date suggested for these tokens, as there are several varieties, is circa 1815. This means that they might have been made for a couple of years either side. They are unusual tokens and not much is known about them, but they are certainly interesting!

YeOldeCollector, thank you very much !!!

About the first: France, 1845 "Equestrial Statue Inauguration ", original medal, in copper, signed Barre, this is the commemorative medal of the equestrial Statue inaugurated in 1845 for the Duc d'Orléans who died in 1842. Marked bronze with hand (Paris mint 1845-60)

No.9 looks to be a countermark from Malta,

Quite interesting as different countermarks were used at different times,

Krause mentions upto 8 Countermarks on the 4 Tari and 7 on the 2 Tari.

At a guess yours is a 2 Tari, try KM#313 (Issued 1740-1778)

Andy, thanks for the info on that - I am still extremely confused on this one! You refer to "countermarks" which are obviously those impressions, but what did they mean?? Why is the flan so smooth etc?? Can you go into more detail or provide a link please?

Matt

Archived