CoinPeople.com

Opinions on this Lincoln 1909-S VDB?

KurtS

Hi, I'm totally new to this forum.

I've been offered a pretty good deal on a nice 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent.

While "raw", the offer is almost too good to resist. To me it appears to be at least a MS63 RD -- or possibly higher?

Here are a few photos. At "face value" it appears legit to me...but I'd really appreciate some experienced opinions!

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Kurt

Right off that is one sweet coin I just sat and stared at it. It is worth I don't know with the condition I would say a few thousand. Maybe 4,000 it will be a high number in Lincoln cents that is the highest and most sought after.

Thanks for all your feedback--much appreciated!

TommyD--that's very useful, and if those examples represent all the variations to the mint mark, it gives me some doubt about this coin.

Consider the result when I take that page, fix some perspective problems, and overlay the coin in question.

Even considering the angled page shot, there's far too much of a deviation from the norm for my comfort--especially a raw coin, sight-unseen:

This has been very informative...I think I'll pass on this one. Thank you! :ninja:

well its hard to see the VDB's shape... but it looks right with the middle bar of the "B" slanted at about an 45 degree angle... the shape of the "S" is correct with the parallel serifs... and it looks like the #2 obverse

Here's a closeup of the VDB:

If my current bidding (not ebay) on a NGC MS63 falls through, I might reconsider this coin.

Thanks for all your advice!

I never said I didn't think it was genuine -- just showed you the four obverse die configurations -- I'd buy it for sure, but I'd send it to PCGS -- they should grade it 63 or 4..

I never said I didn't think it was genuine -- just showed you the four obverse die configurations -- I'd buy it for sure, but I'd send it to PCGS -- they should grade it 63 or 4..

And I really appreciate that info! Btw, which book did that come from? I'll definitely get this graded when it arrives. :ninja:

Archived