CoinPeople.com

Photographing Proofs

Photographing Proofs

Part 1. The Results.

Coins can be difficult to photograph well and proof coins can sometimes be a nightmare. Rather than try to write a standard article on the subject, I will try something a bit different. First, I will show you the photos and then I will show you how I take them. If you like the photos, then you can choose to read the techniques I use and maybe you can improve your own results. It works both ways though. If you have some favorite shots, post them and tell the rest of us what techniques you use.

Don’t expect any high-tech professional style methods here though; this is just what has worked for an enthusiastic amateur who is also anxious to improve.

The photographs were taken with my Canon A640 (10 meg) or Olympus C-4000 (4 meg). None of the pictures underwent any after camera processing other than cropping and sizing. You can view the EXIF data on all the photographs to peek at the settings. If you don’t know what EXIF data are, do a quick online search. These data are (somewhat) standardized information that digital cameras will attach to the output file.

ausdollarimg0780yd5.jpg

memorialcentprfu6.jpg

wolfpf7.jpg

roos1981simg1281ni7.jpg

pandapa271314ii1.jpg

jeffp7231800pp5.jpg

sacp3311101pi3.jpg

ikep2214961vr6.jpg

washp6270324zj8.jpg

manxp3311087sa1.jpg

Continues in Part 2 - Techniques.

Archived