CoinPeople.com

New member needs help identifying an old coin. *have scans*

KevinCali25

Cool! Any idea on the age and/or value of it? Thanks again.

It is dated AH 1222, the equivalent of 1807-08, it is Ottoman because of the Tuhgrah on the obverse. But it is not Turkish, but from one of their possessions, ie Tripoli, Tunis, Egypt. Unfortunately my catalog has Ottoman coins listed in their now respective nations and not under a blanket Ottoman Empire category.

It is dated AH 1222, the equivalent of 1807-08, it is Ottoman because of the Tuhgrah on the obverse. But it is not Turkish, but from one of their possessions, ie Tripoli, Tunis, Egypt. Unfortunately my catalog has Ottoman coins listed in their now respective nations and not under a blanket Ottoman Empire category.

Wow...awesome information! How did you narrow it down to 1807-1808? Is the date on the coin in arabic? If you could give me any more info on it I appreciate it very much. ;) I'm having a hard time finding anything on the net... :ninja:

<<But it is not Turkish, but from one of their possessions, ie Tripoli, Tunis, Egypt.>>

Are you sure about that? It says on it that it was struck in Constantinople. Did the Ottoman possesions say that? I know the Egyptian ones don't. They say that they were struck in Misr.

I am going on an old catalog, I cannot read arabic.

<<But it is not Turkish, but from one of their possessions, ie Tripoli, Tunis, Egypt.>>

Are you sure about that? It says on it that it was struck in Constantinople. Did the Ottoman possesions say that? I know the Egyptian ones don't. They say that they were struck in Misr.

Ooh...could you please elaborate on this or anything else you see on the coin? What information is on the coin? Many thanks.

Ooh...could you please elaborate on this or anything else you see on the coin? What information is on the coin? Many thanks.

I will try, using parts of the reverse image you posted. Here is the image you posted.

small_coin4.jpg

This part of the coin shows the date that the ruler came to power. The dates are in arabic script and it reads 1222.

Date1.jpg

This next picture shows the arabic words that translate as "Was struck in". The very top two characters (within that curved) are not part of that phrase. They are actually the regal year, or the number of years since the ruler came to power. Once agian it is in arabic script. It isn't clear in the picture, but the first character is definitely a 2. I think the second character is a 5 (can't see it clearly). So this would be a year 25 coin. That would make the actual date of the coins 1222 + 25 = 1247 AH And 1247AH = about 1833 AD.

Struckin.jpg

So now we know the date is 1247AH (1833 AD) and we have seen the part that says "Was struck in", so now we just need to know where it was struck. Below that horizontal line in the last picture we will find the mint location.

Const.jpg

This is the arabic script for Constantinople. It reads right to left. This word is usually very easy to spot. Those two characters that look like B's in the word make it easy to recognize.

The only Turkish issues I could find in SCWC 22ed. under Turkey that resemble this piece are the 10th series pieces of Mahmud II, which are of larger denominations, in addition to being a different reignal year (AH1223) :ninja:

Archived