CoinPeople.com

Unknown Jeton dated 1554

Hello,

can someone help to identify the origin and allegorical meanings of this one:

med103.jpg

1554 AD.,

Brass Token (28 mm / 4,20 g),

Obv.: + SEVOQVE ALIMENTA PARENTIS ANTA EO , two dancing or fighting bodies.

Rev.: * NON. VLLVM. OBNOXIA. CVLPA. 1554 , club, bow, arrows and bowcase.

thanks

The obverse shows Hercules/Herakles defeating Antaeus by holding him off the ground. Antaeus, son of Poseidon and Gaia (the earth) could not be killed as long as he remained in contact with his mother. The Latin motto says something to this effect --cutting Antaeus off from his mother's nourishment. I've seen this image on other 16th-century French (and German) jetons also. I can't find this one in Feuardent or in Gadoury's 1991 catalogue. It may be a Nuremburg version of a French royal piece.

The obverse shows Hercules/Herakles defeating Antaeus by holding him off the ground. Antaeus, son of Poseidon and Gaia (the earth) could not be killed as long as he remained in contact with his mother. The Latin motto says something to this effect --cutting Antaeus off from his mother's nourishment. I've seen this image on other 16th-century French (and German) jetons also. I can't find this one in Feuardent or in Gadoury's 1991 catalogue. It may be a Nuremburg version of a French royal piece.

An interesting piece. This jeton is noted as having been struck under Henri II by Feuardent (catalogued as no. 11579). There is also an identical piece but dated 1555 (catalogued as 11579a).

obverse: A club, bow, arrows and quivver bound together in the shape of a saltire (well, according to Feuardent that is!) :ninja:

reverse: Heracles with Antaeus in his arms (fighting).

Archived