CoinPeople.com

La Monnaie de Paris

The medal below is by the engraver Daniel Dupius dated 1900 and features an antique screw press as a highlight to how far the art of coin / medal making had progressed. Dupuis was also responsible for the design of French bronze currency during the period of 1898 - 1921, the style of which is echoed by this medal. The 5c and 10c design is probably my all time favourite bronze coinage. If you haven't seen it...or don't have an example, you owe it to yourself to rectify that sorry state of affairs as rapidly as is possible!

The jeton is by C.N. Roettier dated 1723 and also features the screw press as the theme, but in this case more likely as being the then `state of the art'.

mint1.jpg

mint2.jpg

Monnaie1723obv.jpg

Monnaie1723rev.jpg

Ian

The same basic technology must have been in use for centuries until they put in steam powered presses. Here's a medal mint visitation medal from 1813. The woman is Marie-Louise, Napoleon's 2nd wife:

898975.jpg

Andrieu, one of the premier French medallists of Napoleon's time.

:ninja:

I should have been able to determine that from the fact I have a few jetons with his signature on them.

That medal of yours looks to be original too.

Ian

Thanks, yeah it's an original. At least it has no edge marks which as you know indicates that it was struck sometime between 1813 and about 1830. Since the dies were suppressed in 1818-1819 and silver was edgemarked in 1830 is probably contemporary. I love the series on Napoleon's women that the mint put out in 1808 and then later in 1813.

• 11 months later...
The medal below is by the engraver Daniel Dupius dated 1900 and features an antique screw press as a highlight to how far the art of coin / medal making had progressed. Dupuis was also responsible for the design of French bronze currency during the period of 1898 - 1921, the style of which is echoed by this medal. The 5c and 10c design is probably my all time favourite bronze coinage. If you haven't seen it...or don't have an example, you owe it to yourself to rectify that sorry state of affairs as rapidly as is possible!

The jeton is by C.N. Roettier dated 1723 and also features the screw press as the theme, but in this case more likely as being the then `state of the art'.

mint1.jpg

mint2.jpg

Monnaie1723obv.jpg

Monnaie1723rev.jpg

Ian

Ian,

Is there a good reference or some good dealers where one would be likely to encounter the works of Dupuis?

Ian,

Is there a good reference or some good dealers where one would be likely to encounter the works of Dupuis?

Hi.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a single (decent) reference for either the man or his works. I know of an article by Hubert Poncarme (parts of which appear to be much quoted in relation to Dupuis) but i've never been able to get my hands on a copy via my library or by any other means. It (and numerous other) articles are available via subscription to the Grove Galleries (Oxford) for a quartly fee of £50. Unfortunately as my interest extends to only one article I haven't subscribed. :ninja:

There are little snippets of information to be gleaned from various web pages... but that is about it.

There is however one site that I have come across which illustrates a `clutch' of his medals, and which is well worthy of a visit in general).

http://www.finemedals.com/

The search engine is pretty user friendly.

As an aside, Dupuis also did the art /engraving for a 50 franc and a 500 franc note.

Ian

Hi.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a single (decent) reference for either the man or his works. I know of an article by Hubert Poncarme (parts of which appear to be much quoted in relation to Dupuis) but i've never been able to get my hands on a copy via my library or by any other means. It (and numerous other) articles are available via subscription to the Grove Galleries (Oxford) for a quartly fee of £50. Unfortunately as my interest extends to only one article I haven't subscribed. :ninja:

There are little snippets of information to be gleaned from various web pages... but that is about it.

There is however one site that I have come across which illustrates a `clutch' of his medals, and which is well worthy of a visit in general).

http://www.finemedals.com/

The search engine is pretty user friendly.

As an aside, Dupuis also did the art /engraving for a 50 franc and a 500 franc note.

Ian

Thanks. I did find that site as well and it is worth a visit. If not too much is known about his bio then it will make an even better exhibit project. Most of the medals I've seen aren't particularly pricey, and the coinage is quite reasonable even in choice condition. Thanks for the tip on the banknotes as well.

Thanks. I did find that site as well and it is worth a visit. If not too much is known about his bio then it will make an even better exhibit project. Most of the medals I've seen aren't particularly pricey, and the coinage is quite reasonable even in choice condition. Thanks for the tip on the banknotes as well.

All power to you! I think the works of Daniel-Dupuis would make a brilliant exhibition project. You are also right about the relative `cheapness' of his medals / coins, at least for the present. Perhaps one day the world will waken up though. :ninja:

As an aside, I just posted an example of a `1900' bronze 5 centimes which evidences die filling (world Coins forum).

Most french dealers will happily acquire DD's medals for you. There are a number of individuals in France I buy from on a fairly regular basis (collectors as well as dealers) who have proven to be entirely trustworthy and reliable. At least, to date that is. I'd be happy to pass their details to you, or vice versa if you want to pursue collecting his stuff. LMK by PM.

Ian

Archived