CoinPeople.com
ikaros

The Cent has Changed

ikaros    0

I got my first 2017 cent in change today.

Scratch that.

I got a 2017-P cent in change today. Philadelphia-made cents are now mintmarked.

News to me -- I hadn't heard they were adding a mintmark to the penny. Is this a known thing and I'm just not paying attention?

Art1.2    0

I got my first 2017 cent in change today.

Scratch that.

I got a 2017-P cent in change today. Philadelphia-made cents are now mintmarked.

News to me -- I hadn't heard they were adding a mintmark to the penny. Is this a known thing and I'm just not paying attention?

It's a new thing starting this year. I didn't know about it but went and did a search. Found a CoinWorld article about it.

Here's the link. http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/01/p-mint-mark-added-to-lincoln-cent-for-first-time.all.html#

ikaros    0

It just looks so weird with that P.

Then again, so did all the other denominations when they added it. It just seems kind of random to have it happen now.

Art1.2    0

Maybe they're planning to expand West Point and produce cents there, thus the addition of the mint mark.

ikaros    0

Looks like the 'P' is a one-off thing, specifically to mark the Philadelphia Mint's 225th anniversary. And they deliberately didn't publicize it so they could see how long it took for someone to contact them and ask if it was a real thing or not.

Looks like the 'P' is a one-off thing, specifically to mark the Philadelphia Mint's 225th anniversary. And they deliberately didn't publicize it so they could see how long it took for someone to contact them and ask if it was a real thing or not.

Yes, this is it. I remember reading about this a few months ago. I thought we had a post elsewhere about it.

Vfox    0

Saw my 1st one of these the other day, neat. Also, hi guys, long time no see! Lol.

Saw my 1st one of these the other day, neat. Also, hi guys, long time no see! Lol.

V!!!!

Vfox    0

V!!!!

Hey hey! How ya been?

ikaros    0

Welcome back!

Vfox    0

Welcome back!

Thanks, I never really left though... I've been lurking! Lol. I need to visit more often while signed in! Haha.