CoinPeople.com

Silver Prize Medal of the Sentimental Magazine 1773

This is a repeat of my last post in the Sentimental Tokens which, because of its uniqueness, deserves its own separate topic.

geosilver.jpg

Solid silver sentimental token, which in itself is extremely rare, this token though possesses another level of rarity entirely!

Sentimental Magazine advertising excerpt,
"A Sentimental Fable in French, in every Number(of the Sentimental Magazine), to be translated in the succeeding Number, the best Translator of which will be entitled to a Silver Medal, with his Name engraved thereon; and those Correspondents who furnish us with the best Poems, or the best Articles in Prose, in the Course of every Month, shall likewise be entitled to a Silver Prize Medal, with their Names, or Signatures, engraved thereon"

edge.jpg

So only 2 engraved silver medals were presented each month but for how many issues is unknown(as far as I can ascertain). The AE medals were only issued for 13 months from April Ist 1773 - April 1774. I have never seen another of the awarded silver medals and was fortunate to have acquired this example. It is possible that all the award medals were of George the III, if not it would suggest that this was one of the first two won. The inscription around the edge reads "THE REWARD OF MERIT I . DENIS PHILOM . SOC ." (Philomath Society) so it either was for the best English translation of a French fable, or for the best poem or article in prose.

This is a repeat of my last post in the Sentimental Tokens which, because of its uniqueness, deserves its own separate topic.

DSCF4544-horz.jpg

Solid silver sentimental token, which in itself is extremely rare, this token though possesses another level of rarity entirely!

Sentimental Magazine advertising excerpt,
"A Sentimental Fable in French, in every Number(of the Sentimental Magazine), to be translated in the succeeding Number, the best Translator of which will be entitled to a Silver Medal, with his Name engraved thereon; and those Correspondents who furnish us with the best Poems, or the best Articles in Prose, in the Course of every Month, shall likewise be entitled to a Silver Prize Medal, with their Names, or Signatures, engraved thereon"

DSCF4538-vert.jpg

So only 2 engraved silver medals were presented each month but for how many issues is unknown(as far as I can ascertain). The AE medals were only issued for 13 months from April Ist 1773 - April 1774. I have never seen another of the awarded silver medals and was fortunate to have acquired this example. It is possible that all the award medals were of George the III, if not it would suggest that this was one of the first two won. The inscription around the edge reads "THE REWARD OF MERIT I . DENIS PHILOM . SOC ." (Philomath Society) so it either was for the best English translation of a French fable, or for the best poem or article in prose.

Great addition! :winner_first_h4h:

• 2 weeks later...

There is one in silver, Duchess of Cumberland, here: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5643.30

Guess you have seen it since you have posted in the same thread.

Yes, as you guessed, I had seen it but thanks anyway, always nice to see a post from you.

Malcolm's silver Duchess of Cumberland(unengraved so not a prize medal) is the only other solid silver example of a Sentimental that I have seen pictures of, or know of, all the others have been silver-plated. As Malcolm posted, a TCA(Token Corresponding Society) member doing a study of the Sentimentals said it was the only solid silver one he was aware of(2011) and as far as Malcolm and I know that is still true, except of course for this prize medal.

I just need to find the card mentioned in the Gentleman's Magazine Vol. 67, 1797 about the Sentimental Tokens.

"The head of Cromwell is the best. How many more were issued in copper I cannot tell; but the copper ones seem to have been dropped and an embossed card substituted; but how long this or the Magazine continued I do not know. The only card I have seen, and which is in possession of the person who gave me this information, was an impression of William, Duke of Cumberland, executed by Milton" the writer goes on too add that possibly one was struck for Cumberland but that he had never seen it.