CoinPeople.com

A real co(i)nundrum

ikaros

One of the machines in the break room decided it would start rejecting perfectly normal coins.

It only rejected AtB quarters. It had no problem with the Statehood quarters, with the old eagleback quarters, or with any other coin.

The only difference I can think of is that being newer coins, they have on average higher lustre, and if part of the coin recognition mechanism is optical, that might have something to do with it. But as far as I know, the mechanism is based on size and weight, not reflectivity. Even if there were an electric eye for detecting washers, an AtB quarter should pass that test since it's definitely not holed in the middle.

Weird. A real coinundrum. Any ideas?

I've never tried the weight on the newer quarters but I have to wonder if they're within specs but off enough for the machine to notice.

I remember reading somewhere about certain newer coins being slightly underweight so they align with older ones in circulation, but I'm not sure if that was in reference to US quarters. (Historically, it has happened in China, where the "Fat Man" dollars of 1914-1920s were made to match the ASW of a average circulated dragon type dollar.)

I agree at ATB quarters have a different shine to them, though I usually recognize them by the different obverse which is a bit modified from that of the state quarters. I wonder if there might be something going on with the height of the rim maybe? (just to throw something out there)

• 2 weeks later...

In 1999 the thickness and weight of planchets was reduced by 1%. I believe this was done to avoid removing old worn coins from circulation; if the new coins were lighter the worn old clads wouldn't show up.

Perhaps the mint forgot they had done this and when the states program was over went back to the old thickness and it won't work.

It should be easy enough to check. Just get BU rolls of states coins and compare them to a BU roll of parks coins.

In 1999 the thickness and weight of planchets was reduced by 1%. I believe this was done to avoid removing old worn coins from circulation; if the new coins were lighter the worn old clads wouldn't show up.

Perhaps the mint forgot they had done this and when the states program was over went back to the old thickness and it won't work.

It should be easy enough to check. Just get BU rolls of states coins and compare them to a BU roll of parks coins.

Very interesting. I was not aware of this.