CoinPeople.com

George v coin ID

Xhale2007

Good evening. Just signed up to the site as I cannot find any info on a coin I have been given. And hope somebody can help me identify it.

I cannot get pictures as its a bit worn for my camera phone.

It is George V. Right facing. On one side. With in commemoration of the coronation of king George and queen Mary 1911.

The other side is 3 shields. 1 lion, 3 lions and a harp. With a crown above them and 1911 under the crown. With George v. King of greater Britain & emperor of India 1911.

I have googled and googled and cannot find another picture of one.

Thanks for any help!

Is there any other text on there, and what kind of metal is it? And if you have a scanner, maybe you can get an acceptable image by scanning it directly -- that would be the most helpful thing, thanks! My own google-fu hasn't turned up anything that matches what you've described, although there appear to have been a lot of coronation medallions, both publicly and privately produced.

No that is all the text on it. I do not personally have a scanner but I will have to try and find one I can use.

The coin appears to be bronze I think. It's quite a dark coin.

I literally searched for 2 hours last night through google images and found nothing.

That flattish spot at the top - I'm wondering if there might have been a metal loop that got snapped off, does it look like that's possible?

My google-fu hasn't paid off yet, I still haven't spotted anything quite like this. The legend is interesting -- 'King of Greater Britain' rather than 'King of Great Britain'.

Had another look at the coin tonight, it does possibly look like it had a loop on the top, although its been missing years as its almost smooth where it could have been.

Would love to know more about it, but it seems to be rare as hens teeth...

Any other forums more medallion based I could ask on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is one of many different types of George V Coronation commemorative medalets - or souvenirs - struck in 1911.

1902 also saw many for the Coronation of Edward VII. They are common as a group, although some types may be scarcer than others.

I don't know of anyone who would collect them. Value very low, if anything.

A loop may have been attached for wearing - patriotism was encouraged.

'Greater Britain' was the description used for Britain and all of it possessions overseas. It appears on some patterns as well as on souvenirs (such as this is), but no coins.