CoinPeople.com

20 dollars 1904 (double eagle)

andy001

Hello, friends!

Recently I have bought a double eagle dated 1904 (mint mark "S"). Weight is OK, thickness seems to be OK too, but the diameter is almost 34,3 mm. Is such a deviation from the nominal (34.00 mm) diameter normal for this types of coins? Or, it is definitely counterfeit?...

And there is another thing. The rim of the coin has a slightly sloped (like filed) edge. So, is such a slope a result of edging at the official mint? Or, it is another sign of spuriousness?..

I really need your feedback and explanations. Particularly appeal to connoisseurs and experts on this type of coin.

Thanks in advance!

I am not an expert but... I don't hate that coin. The edge is a little weird but maybe that is due to wear. I wouldn't immediately label it a counterfeit

Looking to see what more knowledgable folks say.

Hello, friends!

Recently I have bought a double eagle dated 1904 (mint mark "S"). Weight is OK, thickness seems to be OK too, but the diameter is almost 34,3 mm. Is such a deviation from the nominal (34.00 mm) diameter normal for this types of coins? Or, it is definitely counterfeit?...

And there is another thing. The rim of the coin has a slightly sloped (like filed) edge. So, is such a slope a result of edging at the official mint? Or, it is another sign of spuriousness?..

I really need your feedback and explanations. Particularly appeal to connoisseurs and experts on this type of coin.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Andy,

The coin looks fine to me. I'm pretty sure it's not a fake.

:ok:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

There are some pretty darn good fakes out there.

To settle all doubts, ring tone test it alongside a known genuine equivalent double eagle.

If you haven't got another double eagle agaist which to test it,

take it to a good coin dealer who knows his stuff for a good professional opinion.

Weight 'OK'? Is there ANY variation at all against the correct weight?

The dealer should also be able to point out variations in minor design detail (if any).