CoinPeople.com

Plastic banknotes to start in 2016, Bank of England says

DreamFLight911

I heard on the news this morning. What are everyone's feelings?

I think the move to plastic based currencies is in the future for all countries. It's really a "when" issue not an "if". Once the paper stronghold on US Congress is broken, I can see major changes to US currency. I'm guessing within the next 6 years we'll see a reduction in the $1 note production as well as more legislative moves to strengthen the dollar coin. Perhaps a $2 and $5 coin as well.

One big thing - Ted Kennedy is out of the picture - his "in" with Crane and Co was a big factor in keeping paper money from being changed more than Crane and Co could handle. Kennedy did a fantastic job of looking out for his donors and people in Massachusetts. Cannot say the rest of the country benefited so much though.

My main fascination is the reduction in size of the notes - paper/plastic changes don't generally involve a size change as well (and in recent decades, most currencies have already been "small size" though the British £50 is still a relatively large sized note.

My main fascination is the reduction in size of the notes - paper/plastic changes don't generally involve a size change as well (and in recent decades, most currencies have already been "small size" though the British £50 is still a relatively large sized note.

From collecting British notes - the size reductions over the last century are pretty dramatic.