CoinPeople.com

NOW AWARDS

Who are your favorite writers online?

I mean, first, which posters on which forums do you find most (a) interesting to read and (:ninja: most often correct with helpful answers?

I also mean, which of the print writers who participate online do you like and why. Why is important.

Discussing this here is important.

In addition, if you could PM me your list (Top Ten or Top One) with your reasons or at least with url pointers, I will begin to establish a nomination list.

Awards are always in order.

Do not be shy, folks. If you like something you saw online mention it. I asked for PMs because, really, we all write here and if I say "Jorg Lueke" or "Aetheling" then someone else is sleighted for not being mentioned. I am aware of that, believe me. That is why I asked for PMs.

That aside, if you read something online that you liked, mention it here. There is no harm in that.

I also mean, which of the print writers who participate online do you like and why. Why is important.

I asked that because I could not think of any offhand. We have something of a gulf in the hobby. I flipped through Numismatist and could not find any of the columnists participating here or at Coin People or Omnicoin. Of course, it is a bit of a challenge to figure out who ShinyOldCoins44 might be.

I asked that because I could not think of any offhand.  We have something of a gulf in the hobby.  I flipped through Numismatist and could not find any of the columnists participating here or at Coin People or Omnicoin.  Of course,  it is a bit of a challenge to figure out who ShinyOldCoins44 might be.

You write online and in print.

Some of the Celator columnists also post, at least on Moneta-L do varying degrees.

And of course your buddy Reid, he has written a few in print articles and certainly is active online :ninja:

I'll have to think about my favorite online writer and PM you.

And of course your buddy Reid, he has written a few in print articles and certainly is active online  :ninja:
I too would have to nominated Reid though, i've read alot of his stuff ...

Vox populi, vox dei.

Who, especially, did you have in mind on Moneta-L from the The Celator, or vice versa?

Who, especially, did you have in mind on Moneta-L from the The Celator, or vice versa?

As I look, as I guess not too many. Sometimes I get email and Moneta confused as well. I think Zach of Beast coins would be one other who does appear in both now that he's half of a column in the Celator.

A lot of the posters on Moneta-L deserve consideration for special mentions and awards. There are some truly thoughful and interesting responses. There's a few more on some of the speciality lists.

My first nomination would have to go to Edward C. D. Hopkins the moderator of Parthia-L and creator of http://www.parthia.com. His website is truly a model, one I consider the best on ancient coins to date.

As for the first part, there is really too many for me to list well as a lot of times it depends upon the area being discussed. Conder101 sticks out in my mind from reading him here and the PCGS forums. As does cladking from several forums. Others too such as CoinGuy1 (Mark Feld from PCGS forums), Ira Stein from rcc, GDJMSP from various forums. Ætheling would be the first person I would go to for UK info, there's a guy on PCGS called TradeDollarNut who is an expert I would go to for anything trade dollar like, I love to read Art on IHCs and copper coins in general. For Austrian, Dale on rcc is hard to beat. And on and on.

As far as print writers who are online...I am not sure I know any except for the usual suspects that have already been mentioned. If you can get Bowers in here... :ninja:

... there is really too many for me to list well as a lot of times it depends upon the area being discussed.  ... GDJMSP ... 

I agree with the broad observation: there are too many to list. It is one of the reasons that I hate awards. I like the ones I have gotten and I have them in my den and I believe that I deserved them... At least that's what I tell myself. :ninja:

The only one that I am comfortable with is the first Heath that I got for The Origins of Coinage. I believe that the nomination came from Elvira Clain-Stefanelli. As for the others, I always ask myself "Why this one and not that one? Why me for this and not him for that?" And when it is not me, I ask, "Why him for that and not me for this?" It is all very arbitrary. Also, these awards tend to be annual. However, the true and abiding merit in a work may not become apparent until the year has passed.

So, the online awards I am contemplating come with some limitations. GDJMSP definitely stands out. But remember that National Dealer was going great guns and then bowed out. The "annual" thing would eliminate him from consideration and I think that is unfair.

Also, there is the problem of the "winner takes all." This was from a book called The Winner Take All Society. Perhaps 12 to 20 people make a fulltime living playing tennis. They earn less than $100,000 to less than $250,000 per year doing that. They make a good living doing what they enjoy, but you do not read of them on the front page, or even on the front page of the sports section. And their share of the earnings is disproportionately small. The case is even more dramatic in basketball, American "football" and baseball. I admire the skill of the guys getting paid $100 a game to play Class A Baseball on Saturdays. But some guys get $100 a minute -- and they are not 120 times better at the mechanics of game.

So, it is nice to thank those who have helped us in the hobby, but, then what about those whom we do not mention?

Is there a solution to this?

I don't know if there is a 'solution' but consensus is usually the way it is resolved. Not every deserving person will always win an award but I don't think that awards should be done away with just because of that. My 2cents only, of course.

I nominate Michael for one of his NOW awards because as here he's unfailingly clear with his intentions in everything he writes. :ninja:

This forum is a good idea. I'm up to my ears right now but I'll try to respond over the next week or so to some of the queries, including Stujoe's about ways to support what you write, an important and interesting issue, and potentially controversial too...

P.S. Thanks to Ætheling, etc., for the nice comments.

... that one writer whom I will not mention by name, but everybody knows.

Oscar Wilde, the writer who dares not mention his own name? :ninja:

I have spent a week thinking about this and I give up, Ukra. Come clean. Who is it?

I don't know if there is a 'solution' but consensus is usually the way it is resolved.

I would never argue with a troll or the moderator, but I must point out...

But reality is not shaped or perceived by consensus. As science-fiction author Michael Crichton said: “I would remind you to notice where the claim of consensus is invoked. Consensus is invoked only in situations where the science is not solid enough. Nobody says the consensus of scientists agrees that e=mc squared. Nobody says the consensus is that the sun is 93 million miles away. It would never occur to anyone to speak that way.”  http://solohq.com/Articles/Bissell/The_New...quisition.shtml

I would like to get away from subjectivity and being in with the in crowd. I think that objectively, Jorg Lueke's Electronic Numismatist stands out as unique.

There must be a hundred of us who write a lot online -- and writing a lot online is all there is for those 100 of us. Jorg has accomplished something special. I would like to name the first award after him.

But what can we give him? (I can make a certificate, but I think I already sent him one for something else he did.) Any ideas for the Jorg Lueke Originality Honorarium?

I would never argue with a troll or the moderator, but I must point out...

I am not either, at least I don't think so. ;) Unless you are talking the Popular Coin Idol Competition...then I Rule Supreme! :ninja:

I would like to get away from subjectivity and being in with the in crowd.

I tend to have more faith in the masses than in any other medium. I tend to believe that we can be objective and judge well.

Another way to do it is, of course, to appoint a panel of experts (or a single expert) to judge. My feeling on that is that when you have an elite for something like that, that is when true corruption begins. They truely vote the 'In Crowd' with said crowd usually being one of themselves or their buddies.

I don't think this is akin to science. ;)

But, of course, that is my own bias involved and my own opinion, which has no more or less weight than any other poster's.

Anyway, I do indeed agree that Jorg's work is quite something special and very worthy of note.

Stujoe

'I just run a coin competition...'

But what can we give him?  (I can make a certificate, but I think I already sent him one for something else he did.)  Any ideas for the Jorg Lueke Originality Honorarium?

Heh heh. I like to think of myself as original but the Electronic Numismatist is more of a perserverence thing. The idea had been around since 1995 according to the ANA people involved. They just kept coming up with reasons not to do it, so I finally decided I couldn't wait any longer.

I do appreciate the support from yourself, Art, and the others who have commented on the work. It is nice to find out that there are at least some people as enamoured with the old journals as I.

I think the process for another volume will begin soon as well.

Yes, I was on RCC, actually I am back again for a while.

But you probably remember my name due to the scintillating article on Sasanian coinage I wrote for the Celator last winter :ninja:

But you probably remember my name due to the scintillating article on Sasanian coinage I wrote for the Celator last winter 

Ah! That Jorg Lueke! :ninja:

As i don't subscribe to any magazines digitally or not, it's somewhat unlikely. :ninja:

I spend most of my non-coin money on non-coin books. I don't have room for magazines, plus i've been disappointed with the printed one in the UK 'Coin News'. Too much emphasis on advertising modern junk (and just advertising) and they even make a whole section for Paper money. Which really belongs in it's own catalogue.

UK Coin News sounds a lot like Coinage or Coins over here. Numismatic News and Coin World are weekly but do contain a few interesting articles or columns but still buried in a lot of ads. The Numismatist has a lot more content per unit space as does the Celator.

Well when you write your article you can see what you think of the magazine :ninja:

Archived