• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Englishpicker

Englishpicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Check out my coin picking finds on you tube my user name is 'greenwooddesign'

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi.
I just picked up this really nice double struck Dollar. I'm not sure if I paid too much, so just wondering what you lot think the value might be? Not that I'm going to sell it, just putting my mind at rest.Thanks, Tom

Attached Files

#2 Englishpicker

Englishpicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Check out my coin picking finds on you tube my user name is 'greenwooddesign'

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Also is it worth getting graded?

#3 ccg

ccg

I'll catch up... someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

Definitely needs to be TPG.

#4 thedeadpoint

thedeadpoint

Give me some.

• Members
  • 13,866 posts
  • Interests:$1 silver certs., Peace $s, Barber dimes, V nicks, a few other choice coins and notes that catch my eye and interest.
  • OmniCoin
  • BanknoteBank

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

At the US mint, when you see 1 coin like that, you most likely see several thousand others. If you're not seeing a double-die listed for that date, I'm assuming it's either INCREDIBLY RARE (and therefore worth thousands) or counterfeit

#5 KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Choose your title...

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • OmniCoin

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Definitely needs to be TPG.

Agreed.

At the US mint, when you see 1 coin like that, you most likely see several thousand others. If you're not seeing a double-die listed for that date, I'm assuming it's either INCREDIBLY RARE (and therefore worth thousands) or counterfeit

Errors coming out of the US mint and Canadian mint is like comparing apples to a loaf of bread. The much lower production and much stricter quality control of the RCM means very few major errors get out into circulation.

I've never seen a doublestruck silver dollar like this of a date other than 1967. From the pictures I think it is probably legit, but definitely get it certified as any potential buyer would want its authenticity guaranteed before purchasing it.

#6 doug2222usa

doug2222usa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

Seems odd to me that neither of the two heads (of Elizabeth) seem to be distorted, and no peripheral flows evident either.

#7 asian_note_collector

asian_note_collector

Choose your title...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

Nice error coin you have there and I apprieiciate your posting above there.Thank you.

#8 justaminute

justaminute

Just got here

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

Have you checked to see whether the coin is of the correct weight? I ask this because I had a New Zealand crown that was similarly double struck, even down to the extent of the rotation of the second striking but when I weighed it, it was several grams too light and turned out to be a Chinese counterfeit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users