CoinPeople.com

The Leading Russian Solo Clown 1890

constanius

DSCF0887-horz.jpg

Obv: ANATOLI DUROW, bust of Anatoli Durov facing right wearing fur coat.

Rev: ERSTER RUSSISCHER SOLO CLOWN, around coat-of-arms.

Bronze 23mm circa 1890 by Otto Oertel(Germ.) active 1888-1915)

(Diakov-) rare.

436px-Anatoly_Durov-horz.jpg

Anatoly Leonidevich Durov(Durow/Douroff) in Russian Анато́лий Леонидович Ду́ров (November 26, 1864-January 7, 1916)

Born into a noble Russian family both he and his brother Vladimir joined the circus and in doing so founded a Russian circus dynasty.

Anatoly became a solo clown(clown-satirist) who used to deliver a monologue attacking authority figures and he also used dogs, cats, mice & a pig in his performance. Feeling the heat in tsarist Russia he embarked on a tour in 1890-91 of Austria-Hungary, Germany, Spain, Italy, and France. Whilst he was performing in Berlin he named his pig 'Will' and he placed a Prussian spiked helmet on it's head and called out 'Will helm', the name of the Kaiser was Wilhelm, Durov was subsequently arrested and asked to leave Germany.

This medal, because it is inscribed in German, ERSTER RUSSISCHER SOLO CLOWN(The leading Russian solo clown), would appear to be for that tour. The reverse shows, what I assume is, the genuine Durov coat-of-arms.

I have seen the same medal with a French inscription PREMIER CLOWN RUSSE, signed Oertel.

I think the French one (probably this one) just sold on Ebay for $50. They seem to be pretty rare. But why should not they be? Durov was probably giving them out, sort of like a business card.

The one just sold on ebay had the obverse of mine "ANATOLI' & the French reverse, Alexbq2's has 'ANATOL' no 'I'

The seller mistakenly attributed the medal to Anatoly Leonidevich Durov's son, the circus animal trainer Anatoli Anatoljewitsch Durov.

The one just sold on ebay had the obverse of mine "ANATOLI' & the French reverse, Alexbq2's has 'ANATOL' no 'I'

The seller mistakenly attributed the medal to Anatoly Leonidevich Durov's son, the circus animal trainer Anatoli Anatoljewitsch Durov.

I saw that auction, and I noticed the mistake in attribution. But I did not notice the variation in spelling. I bought mine on eBay, probably a year ago for about the same price. Now I'll keep my eye out for a German version :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...