CoinPeople.com

Numismatic books

Sir Sisu

Comitia Americana and Related Medals: Under Appreciated Monuments to Our Heritage

by John W. Adams and Anne E. Bentley

Published by George Frederick Kolbe, 1997

Beautiful book on a wonderful series. Its worth it for so many reason. but the photograph of Washington's original set of Comitia Americana medals in the original box commissioned by Thomas Jefferson is fairly special in and of itself.

Bill, I agree, this is a wonderful book. I have read it cover to cover a handful of times, and the already well worn condition of the book shows it.

After 40 years of collecting coins, medals and tokens, the book has prompted me to singularly focus only on collecting this series of medals. As John Adams states in the book, you are not only collecting medals, you are collecting history! I am also doing further research on the Howard medal.

Check out my Avatar, I am thinking you will appreciate it...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's a beautiful medal. I've tried to specialize/focus a few times in my collecting life but it never lasts very long and wham! I'm back to collecting everything.

After 40 years of collecting coins, medals and tokens, the book has prompted me to singularly focus only on collecting this series of medals. As John Adams states in the book, you are not only collecting medals, you are collecting history! I am also doing further research on the Howard medal.

Check out my Avatar, I am thinking you will appreciate it...

Welcome, I spotted your name and avatar when you joined. I love books as well as coins (and photography). I wish I could afford to attempt to collect the series in original die states (a proof, original Libertas at Kagin's bourse table--I will never forget holding that beauty even though it was encapsulated), but it is still an interesting and historical series in the later French and US Mint strikings. Not real expensive and still something one can appreciate. I would love to see your efforts posted here when you are ready.

• 7 months later...

Its been awhile since anyone has posted in this thread including myself. I've acquired more than a few books since then, but two are significant additions. My last post was

Comitia Americana and Related Medals: Under Appreciated Monuments to Our Heritage

by John W. Adams and Anne E. Bentley

Published by George Frederick Kolbe, 2007

While I could not afford the deluxe edition printed by Bird and Bull Press, I did acquire a copy of

The Magnum Opus of Joseph Florimond Loubat: A Leaf Book by Adams, et al. printed by Bird & Bull Press, 2007.

The book includes two original plates from Lobat's original book. After admiring the paper, printing, and quality of the original, I finally acquired an original, signed copy of:

The Medallic History of the United States of America 1776-1876. By Loubat. Published in new York by the author, 1878, signed by the author in Paris, November 25, 1889. It has been rebound, but it is still a beautiful example of printing, paper, and engraving.

Moedas e Notas, Catalogo De Portugal e Ex-Colonias e Da Uniiao Europeia 20th edition by F F da Silva

Leuchtturm Euro-Katalog Munzen und Banknoten 2008

Needed the Portugise one for some of my earlier stuff and the Euro for obviously my Euros LOL

Here are three of my latest books:

Callu, J. P., and P. Bastien. Inventaire des Tresors de Bronze Constantiniens (313-348). Le Tresors Monetaire des Fresnoy-les-Roye II (261-309) . Wetteren, 1981.

Duval, Noël and Vladislav Popovic, eds. Sirmium VIII. Études de Numismatique Danubienne: Trésors, Lingots, Imitations. Monnaies de Fouilles IV au XII Siècle. Rome: Ecole francaise de Rome, 1978.

Duncan, C. L. Coin Circulation in the Danubian and Balkan Provinces of the Roman Empire A.D. 294-578. London: Royal Numismatic Society, 1993.

• 2 weeks later...

"Latin American Bank Note Records"

The American Banknote Company Archives

By Ricardo M Magan

A gift from the Mrs and I am blown away by the variety of notes it fetures and the info it contains on them :ninja: They printed for 22 countries in this region from 1870 to 1970 now that is something ;) I would love to find similar books for some of the other Banknote producers. I do have a great book on Chinese notes that has the notes for the top 5 Banks in my collection as well ;)

My copy of the deluxe edition of the 2nd edition of Hibler and Kappen's So-Called Dollars arrived yesterday. Hardbound and full color unlike the trade edition (paper bound, black-and-white). Five of my photographs of my medals are included and I am listed in the acknowledgments. I was asked to contribute photographs based on my Coin People posts and I was happy to do so. Needless to say, I am very pleased with the book! :ninja:

Added another just published work as well:

Striking Change: The Great Artistic Collaboration of Theodore Roosevelt and Augustus Saint-Gaudens. By Michael F. Moran, Whitman Press, 2008.

I haven't read it as yet, but Moran's article on the San Francisco earthquake and the US Mint published in the Numismatist a couple of years ago was excellent. It was well researched and well written.

• 3 months later...

Good Money: Birmingham Button Makers, the Royal Mint, and the Beginnings of Modern Coinage, 1775-1821

by George Anthony Selgin

If you like Condor tokens (I do although I don't collect them), this will likely be an interesting book. It is economic history, but it deals with the whys of the tokens and how they helped fuel the industrial revolution. I've just started reading, but it is well written and engaging.

A few of my latest;

Types, Mints and Mintmasters of the Rare Coinage of the Normans and House of Blois A.D. 1066 to 1155 by Oliver Ratcliff. Published 1897.

The Story of British Coinage by G. B. Rawlings. Published 1898.

An offprint from The Anarchy of King Stephen's Reign edited by Edmund King. Published 1994.

The Coinage of England by Charles Oman published 1931.

• 3 years later...

So I'm wondering if we've stopped purchasing or stopped posting or both?

I personally haven't purchased anything in quite a while (Numismatic Literature wise).

I think it is more "stopped posting." I've been adding to my library on a fairly regular basis.

A few of mine include:

The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint: How Frank H. Stewart Destroyed, And Then Saved A National Treasure by Leonard Augsburger and Joel J. Orosz (Whitman Publishing (2011)).

Mormon Gold: Mormons in the California Gold Rush by J. Kenneth Davies and Lorin K. Hansen

Granite Mountain Publishing Co., North Salt Lake City, Second Edition

Medallic Portraits of Admiral Vernon by John W. Adams and Dr. Fernando Chao

Kolbe & Fanning, Gahanna, Ohio 2010

Arizona Trade Tokens by Peter Spooner

Privately published, Spiral bound. 2010

American Art Medals, 1909-1995: The Circle of Friends of the Medallion and the Society of Medalists (Studies in Medallic Art) by David Thomason Alexander, American Numismatic Society (2010)

The Silver Coins of Massachusetts: Classification, Minting Technique, Atlas by Christopher J. Salmon

American Numismatic Society (2010)

[The Mass. book is gorgeous!]

100 Greatest Error Coins by Nicholas Brown

Whitman Publishing (2010)

Medals of Dishonour by Phillip Attwood and Felicity Powell

British Museum Press (2009)

The Rebirth of Antiquity by Alan M. Stahl

Princeton University Library (2009)

Coinage in the Iron Age: Essays in honour of Simone Scheers by Johan van Heesch and Inge Heeren (Editors)

Spink and Son, London 2009

That's a partial list since my last posting.

I think it is more "stopped posting." I've been adding to my library on a fairly regular basis.

A few of mine include:

The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint: How Frank H. Stewart Destroyed, And Then Saved A National Treasure by Leonard Augsburger and Joel J. Orosz (Whitman Publishing (2011)).

Mormon Gold: Mormons in the California Gold Rush by J. Kenneth Davies and Lorin K. Hansen

Granite Mountain Publishing Co., North Salt Lake City, Second Edition

Medallic Portraits of Admiral Vernon by John W. Adams and Dr. Fernando Chao

Kolbe & Fanning, Gahanna, Ohio 2010

Arizona Trade Tokens by Peter Spooner

Privately published, Spiral bound. 2010

American Art Medals, 1909-1995: The Circle of Friends of the Medallion and the Society of Medalists (Studies in Medallic Art) by David Thomason Alexander, American Numismatic Society (2010)

The Silver Coins of Massachusetts: Classification, Minting Technique, Atlas by Christopher J. Salmon

American Numismatic Society (2010)

[The Mass. book is gorgeous!]

100 Greatest Error Coins by Nicholas Brown

Whitman Publishing (2010)

Medals of Dishonour by Phillip Attwood and Felicity Powell

British Museum Press (2009)

The Rebirth of Antiquity by Alan M. Stahl

Princeton University Library (2009)

Coinage in the Iron Age: Essays in honour of Simone Scheers by Johan van Heesch and Inge Heeren (Editors)

Spink and Son, London 2009

That's a partial list since my last posting.

Looks like some great information and fun reading there. :bthumbsup:

• 4 years later...