CoinPeople.com

PCI2011 Cross Catagory?

Art

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a runoff contest with the winners of each catagory facing each other?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other ideas

PCI2011 is basically over and the winners have been announced. Congratulations to the Champions, each was certainly a deserving winner. A special thank you to all who participated making this one of the best PCI's ever. It's time to start preparing for next year.

Should we have a runoff with the champions facing each other for a Master PCI2011 Winner? Thoughts?

My take is to go with the popular vote. I'll leave this poll open for 4 days and then we'll see what happens.

You already combined four of the categories in the base metals and other, so why not complete the process?

Yes. I did combine them. They just didn't have enough entries to keep them moving for any period of time without doing that. Since I only combined them when they were pretty much out of competitors or down to a single persons entries, I can easily separate them and do an "winner" announce for each metal catagory. Perhaps that would really be the right thing to do. What do you think?

My dream when I suggested this format was to have a final round of each of the metals/materials face each other. The best gold vs. the best silver vs. the best base metal vs. the best other-precious, etc etc.

My dream when I suggested this format was to have a final round of each of the metals/materials face each other. The best gold vs. the best silver vs. the best base metal vs. the best other-precious, etc etc.

Then perhaps that's what needs to be done. When I have time, I'll look at formulating just such a final contest.

didn't we have that last year? and opted out because everyone voted gold

That was my thought process and from what I gathered the reason the catagories were established the way they are. BUT it seems that a lot of the folks want to see that "FINAL" competition, so there's no harm in putting it together. I just need the time to get it organized.

Art, you kind of went halfway there by combining the smaller categories, anyway.

Here's a suggestion, more along the lines of a brainstorming thought to get people thinking: State that the winner of the final competition must be a _clear_ winner; it must receive at least 40% of the votes cast among all seven category winners, or we simply stick with the seven winners.

Another possibility.... ask people for their first, second and third choices (you are allowed three questions per poll, IIRC). Give a coin 3 points for each first choice vote, 2 points for each second choice, and 1 point for a third choice. People voting twice for the same coin will have their vote disqualified. This will take a lot of work on Art's part counting up the results, to enforce the DQ rule (I can help with that if the polling is public). The least painful and foolproof way I can think of to do this is as follows: Art looks at Coin #1 on the "first choice" question. He sees several names. He checks Coin #1 second choice and ensures NONE of those names appears there--if a name shows up in both places, say Job Lowe's, you ignore Job Lowe's votes; he just DQed his votes. He then runs the same comparison between Coin #1 first choice and Coin #1 third choice AND then runs it again for Coin #1 _second_ choice and coin #1 _third_ choice. Then move on to coin #2, etc. It sounds involved but probably wouldn't be _too_ bad if there were only 15 people or so voting.

You could combine the two by stating that a coin must win 30% of the total non-discarded points to win, out of a field of 7 that would show a clear favorite; the winning coin would have to be a favorite or near favorite of most of the voters.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived