Ancient Peddlers

Unidroit-L

Ancient Coin Attribution

Ancient Genealogy

All these groups under my real name.

Forum

and now Coin People

Under the name Pax Orbis or Pax Orbis Furius

I use Pax Orbis when I want to write something particularly controversial. Often I enjoy gently goading an expert into a debate based on some wild personal theory of mine. I learn much from these debates and find the break in my intellectual boredom quite satisfying. I wonder if someone will eventually discover my true identity by recognizing my writing style? I do not know really, I am fairly certain that I am being read on several of the lists so the possiblity should reasonably exist. As a writer, this is a thrilling experience. Pre-internet I was only collecting rejection slips, now at least I am being read. Having just recently gone on-line, July, I am still amazed at the power of this medium. I know of no other venue available to me where I have any impact whatsoever. In the ancient coin world or any other microcosm. In this internet world, I seem to have a knack for stirring the pot, creating a hornet's nest of posts. Amazing to watch the group dynamic evolve for a time then post a few guiding and or provocative words to almost orchestrate the thread. I do not really believe that my impact has been great, only that to have any impact at all is incredibly gratifying, as a writer. You know what I mean. Right?

Pax

I wonder if someone will eventually discover my true identity by recognizing my writing style? 

Reading these posts from POF, I wonder if he is Reid Goldsborough, but then I wonder who provided him with three consecutive words of Latin -- and POF alludes to being Asian. Actually, it is my experience, having written under pseudonyms and my own name for over 30 years, that no one cares who you are. Honestly. There was a time when an editor called me to tell me that a tightly written work was one line too long. She did not know what to cut. "Take out the by-line," I said. She was shocked. She never had an author do that, but I know that no one cares who I am, or what my name is.

Go to a coin convention and you will hear someone say, "Did you see my article in Coin Life on Dancing Leopard Dimes?" and the other person will say, "I really liked that! I didn't know you wrote it."

No one cares who you are, Furius. We accept you prima facie.

No one cares who you are' date=' Furius. We accept you prima facie.

[right'][/right]

I second this.

Though for the record, he/she doesn't sound like Reid to me

I second this. 

I suspect someone from rcc but, as you two say, it really isn't a big deal. Anonymity, or at least perceived anonymity :ninja:, is a common on the internet and it has valid uses at times.

• 2 months later...
  But in the past 2 years Coin Talk has grown so - I simply don't have the time anymore.

Allow me to doff my hat :ninja: to Peter Davis for Coin Talk. I find that Coin Talk and Coin People compete well -- if they view it as competition at all -- and I split my time between them. I signed up for the Big Boards because I have to for work, but I do not feel comfortable on them. CoinPeople and CoinTalk are more like small villages. You don't have to like everyone, but you do know everyone. The moderators on both boards have created interesting discussion areas in response to reader requests.

• 4 years later...

Coins? Pretty much just here, though I have a login at Predecimal. Outside of coins, there's two other fora I regularly post to that haven't anything to do with my numismania, plus an erratically-updated blog at Wordpres. I dunno if the poll is coins only, or all forums one might post to.

Archived