CoinPeople.com

'Brushes With Greatness'

Guest Stujoe

Guest Stujoe

Have you had any encounters with numismatic notables?

This post by Anton in another thread brought this to mind for me.

I've come across a few stories about ordinary people/models, not presidents or royalty, whose images were used on coins or inspired coin designers.

1. Probably most recent and well publicized is Sacagawea dollar model Randy'L He-dow Teton.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/golden...fm?action=randy

I met her at a coin show in St Louis in 2002. In fact, I almost put her in the hospital.

She is a fairly small woman and I am a fairly large guy. She was walking briskly back to her table as I was turning to cross the same aisle to go to another table. Fortunately, she had good reflexes and I was not at top speed. I just missed running full into her which probably would have knocked her to the floor. I am sure she does not remember but it always stuck in my mind as a funny incident and one of my literal 'Brushes With Greatness' encounters. :ninja: I did later get a souveneir that day too as she was signing stuff for the show.

tetonauto.jpg

As a side note, she is a quite attractive woman and her perfume smelled very nice. ;)

Guest Stujoe
Cool story Stu,

but aside from looking in the mirror every morning, no brushes with greatness. :ninja:

I did talk to Mr Bowers at the FUN show this year, if that counts.

That would count for me! I was hoping to see him at the same show back in 2002 but he was not there. I did meet Anthony Swiatek, a very knowledgeable US Commem guy, there. He was very nice and talked at length to the guy I was with about his commems.

I've met at Brasov numismatic show the author of first Romanian tokens catalogue, Mr. Erwin Schaeffer one of the few Romanians with their name founded in "Acknowlwdgements" of Krause catalogue.

One of the many good things about collecting coins is that you can pretty much meet all the experts, top dealers, and know-it-alls at the major shows. Not like politics where you spend $2000 and get an oyster. Here you can spend $2000, meet the person, and take home some sweet, sweet coins.

Archived