CoinPeople.com

Help me to grade this Kennedy half dollar.

bobolo

• 11 months later...

I'd be looking at AU. The reverse has a number of areas that say "cleaned" to me. The large number of parallel lines in the field between the bottom of the eagle and the words "Half Dollar" for example.

ccg, you mean this brownish stuff around the eagle? I wouldn't say it's gold, probably ugly patina or some kind of dirt. Why do you think it would be goldplated?

I'm going to be rough on it. Grade is melt value. With the lines on it no grade. If sent in it would not make it back as a graded coin. Now if it was not cleaned and just wear since the back is so far gone. Maybe a fine. A split grade could get the obverse as a high AU maybe ms.

• 3 weeks later...

While I am not an expert on US coins I do collect them.

According to this boards header, we are encouraged to grade coins to help improve our lot and sharpen our skills.

I agree this coin has merits, such as sharpness, eye appeal etc, what I dont like are the constant scratches all over the surface.

Bag marks fine, I can live with that but as for grade I wouldnt put it past Very Fine due to its surface scratches.

MS.(I think not)

Archived