PCI2010 Group 4 1701-1800 FINAL Vote  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the Group 4 Winner

• 1799 ½ Scudo, Piedmont Republic
    • 1701-1800 - USA Large Cent 1795, lettered edge variety
    • 1799 Gilt Proof farthing, Britain

elverno's 1799 ½ Scudo, Piedmont Republic

898027.jpg

The Piedmont Republic lasted slightly over 6 months. At the time republics were formed and gone in a drop of the hat and this is one of them. The republic managed to produce a limited amount of coinage before being swallowed into the Subalpine Republic in 1800. There is a short article in Wiki concerning this coinage. While the published mintage for this piece is 300k an expert in Italian coinage once wrote me that the silver coinage of the republic was found on the floor of the mint, swept up, melted and turned into new coinage. There had been a limited release as well as some looting and the actual mintage is probably less than 10k.

Saor Alba's 1701-1800 - USA Large Cent 1795, lettered edge variety

977058.jpg

Generally I do not collect USA coins, they are a bit of a darkside to me. This is one that I got a call about in the middle of the night, whilst I was waiting at the airport. This piece is one of the very rare lettered edge variety cents that was struck that year, before the mint in Philadelphia gave up on using the collars with the lettered edges and went to plain edges for the remainder of the year. This coin is PCGS AU-55.

hussulo's 1799 Gilt Proof farthing, Britain

977059.jpg

Gilt Proof farthing P1269. Ex Dr Johnstone and Colin Cooke collection.

I have voted for all three one time or another - kind of gets to where you have a hard time voting when you pit faves against one another. Wait until your own coin comes up against another of yours, then it is like picking a favourite child. :ninja:

The Winner of Group 4 - 1701 to 1800 is:

elverno's 1799 ½ Scudo, Piedmont Republic

Congratulations Elverno. That's a beautiful coin. This was one close competition.

Congratulations to all who entered and a big "thank you" to all who voted. This was a very close competition. All the entries were beauties.