CoinPeople.com

Removal of non-active members

Art

I'd like to suggest that members who have joined and left a few posts -- pick a number. Maybe 10 or less and haven't been active in over a year be removed from the site. I think their few posts should be removed as well.

I don't really think this would require too much effort given master administrator type resources.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do this, I think you should put "Coinpeople.com members must have 10 posts within each calendar year for their account to remain active" clear as day on the registration form.

Hmm! Penalises the 'browser' who just want to surf with the occasional comment. But, hey, if that's what you want, an exclusive site for serious collectors, that's fine. But remember the tentative first timers. Won't they be put off?

If you do this, I think you should put "Coinpeople.com members must have 10 posts within each calendar year for their account to remain active" clear as day on the registration form.

That's a good idea. I'm not even sure why it bothers me but having so many "users" that have never really been here or done anything causes me CoinPeopleIndigestion.

I don't think a browser will have created an id and then not been active in over a year. That's a long time. I'd guess that 99% of the folks who fall into that catagory have totally forgotten this site exists.

It has nothing to do with site exclusivity. I'm not sure what it has to do with other than when I search through the user files to determine who might value from a reminder about PCI or other such things, I'm greatly impressed with the number of pages of users who have 1 post or less.

There are 141 pages of members who have less than 5 posts and who have not been active since 12/31/2008. That's a lot.

Did I read someplace that a new version of the site is in the works? If so it might be best to purge before and let any accidental deletions get fixed before then. Nothing worse as a programmer than trying to figure out why someone isn't showing up in the new system when a purge happened at the same time.

It's 94 pages of members who have 0 posts and have not been active since 12/31/2008 or earlier.

I think would certainly be a safe group to delete. If they did come back, they could simply reregister since they are likely to have forgotten their registration information anyway.

Art, as a hard-working and dedicated admin AND member of this forum, I leave it up to you to decide how to and when to do this. I think you should just go ahead and purge. While you're at it, add about 10,000 to my post count so I can finally compete with you guys.

Art, as a hard-working and dedicated admin AND member of this forum, I leave it up to you to decide how to and when to do this. I think you should just go ahead and purge. While you're at it, add about 10,000 to my post count so I can finally compete with you guys.

I think that Akdrv is the only one who can delete users. Maybe Tiffibunny can but I'm not sure.

So this is just to get a feel for what people think and then I'll send a note to Anton and ask him to consider this. Or to let me do it.

LeSnipe anyone :ninja:

Are you implying that our own LeSnipe is actually a sockpuppet rather than a Belgian Secret Agent?

Waffles? We have waffles on CoinPeople? How come I've never had anyone offer me waffles????

I don't think a browser will have created an id and then not been active in over a year. That's a long time. I'd guess that 99% of the folks who fall into that catagory have totally forgotten this site exists.

It has nothing to do with site exclusivity. I'm not sure what it has to do with other than when I search through the user files to determine who might value from a reminder about PCI or other such things, I'm greatly impressed with the number of pages of users who have 1 post or less.

This is nothing new Art, this has been happening years, not just on this forum but on many others too. To be fair though I view it much in the same way you do, what's the point in carrying the extra baggage from users that have acounts that have been dormant longer than two years? Might as well clear out the basements and forgotten forlorn turrets of castle coinpeople... :ninja:

I agree that some housekeeping is in order. I will schedule some "R'n'R" - recount and rebuild, this will reset post count for all members, in case some posts were pruned or deleted in the past. After the recount I propose deleting all accounts with zero post count, but keeping accounts with at least one post. We may send these peeps an invitation to revisit CP in the future.

There may also be another pruning in the next few months, part of planned software upgrade.

Archived