CoinPeople.com

PCI2010 Group 3 - 1501-1700: Submissions

Art

Don't forget the format.

your id; coin id info; group

omnicoin link

description information (optional but recommended)

GO FOR IT.

This thread will close either when there are 100 entries or on 27th January at 5PM.

YeOldeCollector; Henry VIII Groat, Group 3.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/977038.jpg

Henry VIII Posthumous Groat minted at the Tower of London. A stunning portrait which is strikingly similar to the Hans Holbein portrait.

The mint mark visible at just after 12 O'clock on the reverse is that of a marlet, a heraldic bird. This really is a stunning portrait on a fairly scarce coin. Afterall, the period in that this was minted was one of turbulence as Henry VIII had just died and he had wasted vast amounts of money and dissolved the monasteries. This coin is technically one of Edward VI, the Boy King, but features the name and portrait of his father. So much history attached to one piece.

YeOldeCollector; Elizabeth I Sixpence, Group 3.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/977039.jpg

Elizabeth I Sixpence. One of the very best portraits of Elizabeth that I have ever seen, truly stunning. Scarce 'large flan' type of 1561. m.m. pheon. Large bust with hair swept back and rose behind. These are much scarcer compared to their smaller counterparts. Not often do you see these with no clipping either.

YeOldeCollector; Oliver Cromwell Commonwealth Penny, Group 3.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/977041.jpg

A penny of the infamously turbulent English Civil War era. This penny was minted whilst Oliver Cromwell was Lord Protector and was minted at the London mint. The "I" above shields signifies the denomination. St George's Cross and Irish Harp intertwined. Absolutely stunning coin.

Saor Alba Mary Queen of Scotland Penny ca. 1547:

Scotland, Mary, Penny struck ca. 1547

This diminutive piece is not pretty, but one of the best available examples of a coinage struck in 1547 when Queen Mary was six years old, and English forces were harrying the border during the period of the "Rough Wooing" when Henry VIII had his army harass the Scots in pursuit of having Queen Mary betrothed to his son who would later become Edward VI.

Portrait coins from Queen Mary's reign are very rare, most notably these early pennies because they were small enough that very few of them have been located. The portrait gold and silver coins issued briefly later in the reign were more often saved because of the value of them. These pennies were often heavily circulated and subsequently lost - resulting in their great rarity now.

Saor Alba - Scotland Queen Mary Half Lion or 22/- dated 1553:

Half Lion or 22/- 1553

This coin represented the second gold coinage from Queen Mary's reign, issued whilst she was in France for "safekeeping" from the English. During this period she was represented in Scotland by her regent, James, Earl of Arran and his initials IG are represented on the shield side of the coin.

It also says in Art's post above.

Don't forget the format.

your id; coin id info; group

omnicoin link

description information (optional but recommended)

GO FOR IT.

This thread will close either when there are 100 entries or on 27th January at 5PM.

not amused by what i have to face here but i have a few tricks up my sleeve

anyway

scottO - chinese brass cash of emperor shih tsu c.1644 - group 3

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=962348

very nice brass cash from the fourth series of cash coins from the emperor shih tsu minted at the Board of Works mint

Obv: Shun Chih T'ung Pao

Rev:

Right: Manchu Yuwan - Board of Public Works Mint, Peking

Left: Manchu Boo - Coin

Saor Alba - 1501-1701 - Scotland, James VI(1567-1625) Gold Noble of 1588:

Scotland James VI Gold Noble (1588)

This piece is an extremely rare and one year type. The coin was worth eleven merks or 146 shillings and 8 pence. Curiously the design is a throwback to earlier English nobles of the 14th century. These pieces were not popular, and were called in and quickly replaced by the sixth coinage. the legend around the periphery of the obverse of the coin is IACOBUS 6 DEI GRATIA REX SCOTORUM or James 6 by the grace of God, King of Scots. The legend on the reverse FLORENT SCEPTRA PIIS REGNA HIS IVOA DAT NUMERATQUE or "Sceptres flourish with the pious, Jehovah gives them the kingdoms and numbers them".

not sure if this goes here in exonumia but anyway i can just move it to there if needbe

ScottO - Jean sireday dijon jetton 1655 - group 3

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=975762

made in dijon in 1655, this jetton is quite scarce rated R on cgb.fr's site and is part of a few issues around the time of the mayors of dijon all of which are rated R. and a great looking coin for the period