CoinPeople.com

New Conder Tokens

Great tokens. You've got a very nice set there. Do you know anything more about the Richardson Goodluck & Co. piece?

The Poole token is from Dorset(shire). I think you might have to describe the edge for a definitive answer as to #.

Yup. It's Dorsetshire, Poole

If the edge is:

6. I PROMISE TO PAY ON DEMAND ONE HALFPENNY . +

6a. Milled

6b. PAYABLE AT DANBURY OXFORD OR READING.

6c. Plain

6b and 6c are listed as RR, the others as common.

Great tokens. You've got a very nice set there. Do you know anything more about the Richardson Goodluck & Co. piece?

The British Government financed and administered the lotteries but ticket sales and promotion of the lotteries was farmed out to private companies. Richardson, Goodluck & Co. was one of those private companies. Mrs Goodluck was a 'silent partner', Richardson paid her 50GBP a year just to use her name in the company's title in a bid to inspire the punters to purchase shares in the lottery tickets through his company. She was a 'certain winner' in the lotteries, just by allowing the use of her auspicious name for cash.

Please stopping posting material like thats pictured here. I have enough collecting interests as it is and I am trying hard not to adopt another. You make it difficult for me to exercise appropriate self control when you tempt me with intriguing examples of why one would want to collect Condor tokens. I will not bite. I will not bite. I will not bite. Damn you, you are not helping one bit!

Lovely pieces!

If the edge is:

6a. Milled

6c. Plain

I'll check the edge when I get home from work today, unless my wife has other plans for my free time.

I have only been collecting Conder Tokens for about 6 months now, but find them quite addicting.

And since my roots are half English and half Irish they touch my heart in a special way.

Here's one I bought a year or two ago before I even knew what Conder Tokens were. I just liked the "God Send Peace" message...

DukeYork-1.jpg

DukeYorkcomposite.jpg

DukeYork-2.jpg

Did I get the D&H # right?

If the edge is:

6a. Milled

6c. Plain

I checked the edge and found "I PROMISE TO PAY ON DEMAND ONE HALFPENNY".

Here's a Middlesex 941 that NGC BB'd as "laquered".....

Middlesex914-1.jpg

Middlesex914comp.jpg

Middlesex914-2.jpg

I thought it looked a little too good for the money. I still like it anyway. :ninja:

Many Conder tokens come laquered, the practice was quite common for copper coins/tokens in years past.

So lacquer was an early attempt to keep copper coins safe from the horrors of verdigris and such.

Interesting. I had no idea...

951207.jpg951206.jpgQueen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 1837-1897. Bronze 56mm by Geo. Will. De Saulles (after W.Wyon) & Thomas Brock. Legend: VICTORIA ANNVM REGNI SEXAGESIMVM FELICITER CLAVDIT XX IVN.MDCCCXCVII (Victoria successfully completed the sixtieth year of her reign, 20 June, 1897). Rev: Young head of Victoria facing left. Legend: LONGI-/TVDO/DIERVM/IN DEXTERA/EIVS/ET IN/SINISTRA/GLORIA. (Length of days in her right hand; and glory in her left hand. Vulgate, Proverbs III, v. 16). BHM 3506.

Lacquered & unlacquered examples of the same medal. At least the lacquering "protects the piece" & can be quite attractive even if 'infra dig' to some collectors.

I personally like the effect on the lacquered Victoria. What do you guys think?

I personally like the effect on the lacquered Victoria. What do you guys think?

I like it more too. Several years ago, someone in this forum posted medals or tokens that had a funny clay red hue that I had never seen before. They told me it was lacquer too. I like the effect but I don't think coins should be lacquered.

Archived