CoinPeople.com

Queen Victoria 1843 Token, Possible Gaming Counter.

965926.jpg

VICTORIA QUEEN OF GREAT BRIT 1843. Rev. The Prince of Wales plumes within the motto of the Order of the Garter, HONI SOIT QUI MALY PENSE. BHM# 2092 20mm AE. Unlisted in AE. only listed in Br. R. BHM states "No specific reasons have been found for the issue of this piece, possibly it is a gaming counter"

Why this token is dated 1843 is still a mystery, also why the P.O.W.'s feathers are shown within the garter motto is strange as Albert Edward was only 2 years old and was not admitted to the Order of the Garter till much later.

The other thing is, why such a large gap in the legend above Vicky's head, resulting in BRITAIN being truncated to BRIT.

Still, nice to have a rare piece in an unlisted metal with some mystery attached to it.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Today in the morning I woke up thinking about that strange coin and its message related with conspiracy theories and I started a short reserach to check the network if there was anything about it. The story is like that, in 1979 walking on the outskirts of a small town in the northern center of Mexico while visiting relatives from house to house, I found something that was surrendering like a brownish dirt coin on the ground and I kicked it, my aunt was pushing me and hurrying me to leave the place together with others and keep moving so I Just had the chance to take a single one and throw it in my pockets. Later when I arrived to my hometown, Guadalajara Mexico I cleaned it with sodium carbonate and I could see the inscription of a lady's picture and a duster on the back. obviously there was no internet or literature to research a little about what it was and where it came from. Since I was a boy at that time, I just thought it was a treasure and had only taken one coin. I told my father a short version of this story and the hurried man asked me to tell him where I had seen it, so I told him the whole story. Months later my father and I went back there but on the site a new street were already started, holes and men at work just found out, so someone else was the lucky one and took the coins that could be. I think this : when you do not have to find your fortune ... luck is not for you, it's for someone else. Nowadays my questions are: what did those coins do there? who bring these to Mexico? to that small town? I know because the History there were Spanish settlers at the site and later French and Austrians settled but not English. Well, I think that coin was more emblematic for English people than for any other person.