CoinPeople.com

Marriage of Victoria and Albert

This one looks more like a token than an official medal:

tok015.jpg

Marriage of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, 1840 AD.,

silvered Bronze Token or Medal (27 mm / 4,20 g),

Obv.: VICTORIA. BN. MAY. 24. 1819. / PRINCE. ALBERT. B. AU. 26. 1819 , their busts facing left.

Rev.: MARRIED / FEBY. 10 / 1840 , in between two branches of laurel (left) and oak (right) forming a wreath .

So far i found no signature on or reference about. Maybe it´s just an unimportant contemporary gaming token?

Anyway - i see that lovely old style of 1815-1848, called Biedermeier in central Europe, Regency style in England, Federal style in the United States and Empire style in France.

(As always: comments or additional infos appreciated.)

BHM# 1937 In brass R.(rare), but you will be pleased to know, in silvered brass RR.(very rare).

Nice to be the bearer of good news. I see that we obviously like the same things, medallic speaking that is ;)

And if you guys didn't like the same things I'd be able to afford this hobby! :ninja:

A beauty. I love this style and *because* it looks like an unimportant gaming piece a smart collector snaps it up. I'd love to see one of those "games" that get referenced all the time. Has anyone ever seen one? Even the Smithsonian Museum used the term on a document that came with an old token I purchased but they didn't say what the game's name was.

I do think most were used as counters for card games, rather than a specific game, hence the lack of remaining evidence, which you rightly refer to, for the existence of those 'Games'.

Card games, chess etc were popular in England from tudor times but propriety games are quite a recent invention. LINK HISTORY OF GAMES

I guess 'gaming token' is expert speak for, it is small, low relief and we don't have a clue what it is.

I have one to post, when I receive it from the dealer(it is in the post), which the BHM calls "possibly a gaming piece" though listed as just R. it has a bit of a mystery to it. I felt compelled to buy it, as it was so cheap, rare and a mystery as to why it was issued & the symbolism on it.

So, by looking at the token, I assume it was a commemoration of their wedding. How do you get "gaming token" out of it??

You are absolutely right, it is a commemorative medal of their wedding, just small and low relief hence Arminius' speculation that it might be just a gaming token (which it appears any low relief small token/medal might get labelled as such). Vern & I are just a wee bit off topic and so I might as well continue being off topic:

Here is a gaming token token of mine, so they can be very desirable.

951748.jpg

Circa 1620 silver gaming token, 25mm. James I and Prince Charles. These were issued in silver tubes for use in gambling, with various designs, including foreign rulers. The Niello-work images look engraved but there is debate about the actual method of manufacture (in fact most experts now agree that they were struck). Listed in Medallic Illustrations, page 376, #272 (variety II).

Nice tokens. I've heard discussions about the use of "gaming token" at my local coin club. One of our Past-Presidents was Secretary of TAMS for a while.

And if you guys didn't like the same things I'd be able to afford this hobby! :ninja:

A beauty. I love this style and *because* it looks like an unimportant gaming piece a smart collector snaps it up. I'd love to see one of those "games" that get referenced all the time. Has anyone ever seen one? Even the Smithsonian Museum used the term on a document that came with an old token I purchased but they didn't say what the game's name was.

The reverse of this one shows it´s application:

tok025.jpg

Gaming token, by Allen & Moore, dated 1853 AD.,

Brass (22 mm / 3,83 g),

Obv.: VICTORIA - REGINA / 1853. , head of young Victoria facing left, A&M on truncation.

Rev.: KEEP YOUR - TEMPER , woman playing cards at card table, four coins or gaming token on table.

Had this for a couple of years never photographed it before, hence the delay in posting. Very dirty, but was from a dollar bin (Canadian $1) at a coin show.

964239.jpg

Game Token: Victoria Regina.

Rev 3 Playing cards. Brass 21mm Circa 1850

Another one from the same dollar bin

964240.jpg

Prince of Wales Marriage Medal. ALBERT EDWARD PRINCE OF WALES. BORN NOV. 9 1841. Rev: MARRIED TO H.R.H. PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF DENMARK. MARCH 10 1863. BHM# 2779 24mm N. Holed but so is the one depicted in BHM, so might be as made.

For official occasions her wild hair was repressed and the facial expressions freezed:

han13.jpg

Bronze Medal (39 mm / 24,00 g),

Obv.: ALBERT EDWARD PRINCE OF WALES • PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF DENMARK • , their busts right.

Rev.: THE - TOWN HALL / HALIFAX // OPENED AUGUST 4TH / 1863 // BY H. R. H. THE PRINCE / OF WALES , view of the Halifax town hall.

:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
The reverse of this one shows it´s application:

tok025.jpg

Gaming token, by Allen & Moore, dated 1853 AD.,

Brass (22 mm / 3,83 g),

Obv.: VICTORIA - REGINA / 1853. , head of young Victoria facing left, A&M on truncation.

Rev.: KEEP YOUR - TEMPER , woman playing cards at card table, four coins or gaming token on table.

To complete the series: I suppose this type was made for the gentlemen card players:

tok058.jpg

by Allen & Moore (John Allen and Joseph Moore in England 1840 - 1858), struck ca. 1853-1858 AD.,

Brass Token (22 mm / 4,05 g),

Obv.: VICTORIA - REGINA / 1850, head of young Victoria facing left, A & M on truncation.

Rev.: KEEP - YOUR TEMPER , a man playing cards at card table facing left, four coins or gaming token and cards on table.

rgds.

Archived