CoinPeople.com

History of US Coinage

Guest Stujoe

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean The History of United States Coinage as Illustrated by the Garrett Collection by Q. David Bowers.

"Q. David Bowers' book about the Garrett Collection is every bit as correct as Breen's Encyclopedia. However, the presentation is totally different.

The Garrett Collection looks like a coffee table book. It has pretty color pictures and the prose is totally non-threatening. Once you look beneath the patina, you realize that you are are reading a gem of a book.

Two appendices present the 19th and 20th century correspondences of the Garrett family collectors with dealers and other collectors. This book is as much about the history of American coin collecting as it is the history of American coinage."

Guest Stujoe

That be the one I mean. :ninja:

Bowers' style (I mean Quentin David Bowers ;)) is much to my liking. It is often quite 'casual' and conversational. His joy of the hobby always comes through. It is something you can read for fun as well as knowledge. Breen is much more 'just the facts'. Basic. No frills. But a lot of good information as a reference work. Taxay is more like reading a college text book. Very clinical.

• 4 years later...

I have a copy of this book and want to get started on it but things keep coming up. I'll report back when I get to reading it.

• 1 year later...

I have a copy of this book and want to get started on it but things keep coming up. I'll report back when I get to reading it.

Still haven't read it. It's moving to the top of my 2012 Must Read List.

I dug mine out of my bookcase to put it on my reading stack. It's an autographed edition. Front leaf is inscribed "To Jim & Nancy Ruddy. With best wishes to two great friends. Oct 18,1979." Signature appears to be Q.David Bowers. Also I found a nice stack of GEM UNC FRN's in the book. I'm sure I put them there. Series 2006 - Boston A56412996F through A56413000F.

Archived