CoinPeople.com

Anyone going to baltimore next month?

Hi Matt,

I feel the need to rant, I haven't had the time to be on CP this week, so you get my second post.

I live in Richmond, Virginia and go to school in Chicago. I don't have the time or money to go to the Chicago shows (I was actually in the car headed to CSNS then I felt guilty and turned around). The dealers near me in Chicago aren't as great or accessible as I want them to be. Back home they are nice but they don't have a great selection.

Anywho, Baltimore is quite literally the only time I get to buy coins in person. The last few years they've been moving their shows around by a weekend or two. For example, the summer show would be during summer vacation. Then I'd go to the Fall or Winter show because they'd overlap with a break.

But this year, they were off by a week or two. So I was counting on the summer show. Then I saw they moved the summer show UP A FULL MONTH AND A HALF! Usually its the end of July!!!! But nooooooo.... I chose to go to one of the few colleges in the country that doesn't get out until late June - and I was planning on using my graduation money there!!! GAH!

So, irony strikes again....

But this year, they were off by a week or two. So I was counting on the summer show. Then I saw they moved the summer show UP A FULL MONTH AND A HALF! Usually its the end of July!!!! But nooooooo.... I chose to go to one of the few colleges in the country that doesn't get out until late June - and I was planning on using my graduation money there!!! GAH!

So, irony strikes again....

Actually you are in luck. At the end of July and early August Baltimore is hosting the ANA summer convention. This is easily the biggest show on US soil and will have the best selection of US coinage with very good world coin representation and several decent ancient dealers. Plus there's exhibits, educational seminars, you can meet and talk to famous numismatists. In short you really lucked out this year! :ninja:

Kids are in school. Price of gas is ridiculous. We were going to go to DC that weekend, but with gas so flakking ridiculous, forget it.

How many gallons does it take you to get to DC?

Actually you are in luck. At the end of July and early August Baltimore is hosting the ANA summer convention. This is easily the biggest show on US soil and will have the best selection of US coinage with very good world coin representation and several decent ancient dealers. Plus there's exhibits, educational seminars, you can meet and talk to famous numismatists. In short you really lucked out this year! :ninja:

Gee whiz! Thanks, JLeuke! I barely remember reading that somewhere a few months ago. I've never been to a major coin convention other than Baltimore's regional shows, so the ANA will be a HUGE deal. I sure hope I'll be home then!!!!

How many gallons does it take you to get to DC?

It is a 14 hr straight through drive from where I live. I don't have the car anymore that I did that drive several times in, then I knew, but my one car gets better gas mileage, the other not so.

Im flying into Baltimore from Indianapolis and the round trip cost me $217... I don't think I could have driven the explorer there and back for that much...

For one person it is cheaper to fly, for 5 it is another story. But then think about 14 hours in a closed car with a 4 year old and ask yourself "Do we really want to make this trip?" :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived