CoinPeople.com

Any homepage that features Finnish coins?

gxseries

Here is one great site by a Finn named Juha. I have often referenced it. (He has a nice collection w/photos of Finnish tokens.) It is in Finnish, but I'm sure you can get around by following the dates.

If you need something more specific, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Sisu, many thanks. By the way, are there any sites that has the mintage as well as mintmark of the aluminum-bronze coins? I find some with the letters, M, N, K, S - what do they represent? :ninja:

It is in Finnish, but I think you should be able to navigate through the info. LINK

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

The mintage figures are in the millions. As for the letters, they are not actual mintmarks. The letter is the initial of the mintmaster's surname.

One last question Sisu,

this is regarding about the 1 markka coins struck from 1964-1993. The earlier ones were struck in silver but it seems that one homesite suggest that the later ones were struck in nickel-copper whereas the mintage site just mentions nickel. What are the alloy of the 1 markka coins at that time? :ninja:

One last question Sisu,

this is regarding about the 1 markka coins struck from 1964-1993. The earlier ones were struck in silver but it seems that one homesite suggest that the later ones were struck in nickel-copper whereas the mintage site just mentions nickel. What are the alloy of the 1 markka coins at that time? :ninja:

Ask away! ;)

Yes, that is strange that sites have differing information regarding the alloy of the one markka. The earlier ones in the series were silver billon (35% Ag - 57% Cu - 8% Zn). But from 1969-1993 they were cupro-nickel (75% Cu and 25 Ni).

Sisu, here's a type set of 1963-1993: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/finland/1963_1993.htm

It just happens that I got them in a pile of Finnish coins that I got some time ago and decided to see how challenging they are. Doesn't seem to be very challenging but I'm sure it's usually more difficult than expected.

Nice set up!

You have done more than type. You have done a whole date run, including mintmaster marks as well.

Yes, in general the series is not that challenging if you are doing a circulated set. However, some of the lower mintage key dates are not that easy to come across regardless of condition. (They are out there, but seldom a lot at any one time.) I collected my set directly from circulation primarily during 1990, before the new 10 and 50 penniä issues were released. I never found any of the key dates (and of course none of the 1mk billon or the 1972-78 5mk). Back then I picked up a couple of the key dates in unc from a coin shop, but I never did get all of them. And I am still missing the rest of those key dates from my collection. I have never got around to picking them up! :ninja:

I'll see what extras I have to fill in some of the holes that you still have for the fractional coins. Minus the key dates of course as I don't even have all of them.

• 5 weeks later...
.... As for the letters, they are not actual mintmarks. The letter is the initial of the mintmaster's surname.

I forgot to note that there is an exception to this. The 1 markka coin of 1921 has an "H" on it which does not stand for the mintmaster but for the Heaton mint where the coin was minted. The 1922 1 markka has the Danish heart as a mintmark. The rest follow the rule.

Archived