CoinPeople.com

1986 d Lincoln

corkykile

Thanks guys.

I think it needs to be weighed to determine if it is underweight for the year before I make any conclusions about it.

Unfortunately I do not have a scale to weigh the coins... next major purchase I am sure.

The coin belongs to my sister who is visiting me right now. She has it in her Lincoln cent album and cannot remember at all where it originated. I have been trying to help her fill in some blank spots in the album but do not want to discount this coin and replace it with an uncirculated coin.

Corky

• 2 weeks later...

I would say your camera was set on a black and white setting.

If the copper were chemically removed, some of the detail that was only in the copper would be gone too. I do not believe the underlying zinc would have the detail the surfac e layer did. Since this has all the detail, I would say it was something else like black and white photography, coin copy, etc.

-UncleKin

like black and white photography, coin copy, etc.

Hi Uncle Kin,

This coin is actually in my sister-in-law's album and I am the one who photographed it with my digital camera.

So, I can vouch for it being exactly as you see it.

As far as my sister doing anything to the coin to cause this anomaly, she would not have a clue at where to start.

I haven't been able to get to the coin dealer to ask if he would check it out and weigh it for me.

So, I think today is the day I am going to get serious about ordering a scale appropriate for coinage.

Soon as I find out anything more about the coin I will get back to you and the rest of the ones who are also wondering 'whats up?' with this one.

Corky

• 2 weeks later...

To me, it seems that this coin might be coated with something. Some areas on the edge and seem to show copper and there's the detail noted on the previous post. Weight of the coin may be a little tough because with a +/-5% tolerance allowed on the weight by the mint, the weight of the copper may be within that tolerance and so it would be difficult to definitively say that the copper has been removed.

+/- 5% = allowable mfg tolerance(might be 10%, can't remember)

Total zinc/copper ratio = .975/.025 * 100% = 2.5% but 0.8% of that is planchet alloy so pure Cu plating percentage of total is 1.7%

So, one could remove the 1.7% copper plating and still be well within the allowable 5% tolerance of manufacture.

Dont let that stop you from buying a scale though. :ninja:

Great tool for detecting off metal fakes.

• 3 weeks later...

(((Dont let that stop you from buying a scale though)))

I finally received the scales I ordered. I chose the My Weigh MX-300 SE, version 4.0., and the

100g weight to calibrate the scale when needed.

Unfortunately my sister-in-law has gone back down south and taken the coin with her. She might bring it back up on her next visit.

I have been having fun with the scales and discovered how useful they are for the 1982 Lincolns. Wow, much easier than guessing which is which by 'finger weighing'.

Will let you know about the coin as soon as I can get the deed done.

Corky

Well, I'm not sure how you'd get the copper off of the zinc, because any acid that will eat copper will eat zinc much faster. (Did you ever see when they file down the edge of a zincoln and put it into acid? It's soo cool just having the plating!) I've heard there is a way, but unless you have cyanide (enough to kill off a city block or two), you can keep guessing. That's why I think it's coated.

• 5 weeks later...

Crikey!?!? It's a rare albino penny. Just look at the way she sits in silence, so tranquil, so noble! :ninja:;)

Crikey!?!? It's a rare albino penny. Just look at the way she sits in silence, so tranquil, so noble! :ninja:;)

Yep, I agree it doesn't have all its color, but can't get my hands on it right now (it is in San Diego and I am 100 miles north of San Francisco) to weigh it on my brand new scales. Big Bummer! ;)

It might remain a mystery for a long time... or my sister-in-law brings it back up here... which ever comes first.

Corky

• 2 weeks later...

This coin looks painted for me

If you look closer you can see red copper on some details

Another thing - mercury dip

And another thing - used foto fixer for black and white foto dip. This thing I did several times by myself (just for fun). The copper coin will be covered with thin layer of silver after such dip. And it will look like real silver after

Guess there are a myriad of things that can happen to poor old Lincoln.

What gets me is that when my sis-in-law wanted me to take it I refused and said that she found it so she could keep it.

Now I am beating myself for that decision.

Even if I am able to weigh the coin, how on earth would I be able to determine exactly what happened to it except perhaps a bad sunburn that caused peeling.

I just love this hobby... so many unanswered questions... so many questions to ask.

Thanks for taking a look at this. I am open to all sorts of ideas about how it happened.

Corky

• 1 month later...

Archived