• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1791 12 Heller, Aachen.

912696.jpg

That dead duck(???) looks ready to be plucked! :ninja:

(Nice acqusitions. :lol: )

That dead duck(???) looks ready to be plucked!  :ninja:

(Nice acqusitions.  :lol: )

Ever seen the colonial Massachusets 1/2 and 1 cent coppers? The eagle looks pretty similar to me.

Thanks, I like it too but I'm probably going to find it a new home. You want it Tiff?

Also in today:

1806 1/48 Thaler, Saxony.

912839.jpg

This was one I was actually bidding on believe it or not... as well as this one:

1810 1/6 Thaler, Saxony.

912840.jpg

1809 1/6 Thaler, Westphalia.

912852.jpg

Another duplicate frankly from a lot and not an upgrade. The neon green doesn't appear to be PVC damage under a loupe but I've been wrong before.

Little question... The name of this thread is "Elverno - cheap but fun" ... Are those coins really "cheap" ... In my opinion 1$ - 5$ is cheap... my pocketmoney is 15 Euro.. :lol::cry: For example... what does one of these coins cost? Maybe I should collect them too, if they are so cheap ;)

That's a great collecting area... enjoy it :ninja:

For me cheap is less than $20. Most of the coins I collect fall into that category because I'm more than happy to give a well circulated coin a new home. The medals need to be less than $150 for me to think they're cheap. It used to be that $150 would buy me 8-10 medals and the dealer would toss another in just so he didn't have to take it home. I think that for a while there couldn't have been more than a couple dozen serious Napoleonic medal collectors anywhere. Ah the good old days...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1789 King George III Recovers his Health, Great Britain

BHM 307

D&H Midx. 1130

915552.jpg

21mm Link

Technically a farthing but actually a medal. D&H said scarce, BHM says rare.

1833 Statue sur la colonne de la place Vendôme rétablie, France

Bramsen 1907

915564.jpg

23mm Link

Louis Phillipe was forced by the events that threatened his throne to attempt to appease the Bonapartist party in France. One way was to re-establish Napoleon's statue on a column in the place Vendôme in Paris. It had been pulled down after Napoleon's fall by the Bourbon government, or at least with its tacit approval.

1794 Death of Elisabeth-Philippe Marie-Hélène, France

Hennin 621

Milan 108

915573.jpg

31mm Link

Struck in the German States, engraved by Loos. She was a sister of Louis XVI sent to the block about 15 months after her brother. Despite how she looks she was only a couple weeks away from her 30th birthday.

Thats a real catchy design.  :ninja: One question, chaining a dove to a rock I'm assuming for traning the falcon? And she was a falconer?

Uh, I believe that image is allegorical and refers to her execution (the rock has the date of her execution on it).